little hole in the head

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthman

Fascinated by rolling objects!
Tempe AZ on the corner of Oak and Southern
little hole in the block

Got an electric water pump for this sbc and it doesn't have the passage to match up with the hole on the pass side of the block that allows water to circulate past the thermostat. Is it expected that this hole just gets blocked off? Thanks Curt

Last edited:
[S Did it come with any directions? This is being asked by the guy with ADD that puts it all together first and when it doesn't work I look in the trash for the directions.

Sorry I can't help , Im no mechanic , im more like Kenny C ,, I look for help or directions after it dont work ,, but this will bring it back to the top , maybe some body will help ya out ... Im more of a parts re-placer than a mechanic .. That sucks some times cause I replace more than I need to a lot of times to get it back going ..

My experience with electric pumps is limited to race cars... blocked bypass hole and no thermostat, either.

I understand an electric pump moves less volume than the conventional belt-driven type. This may or may not be a concern, but if you run the electric pump, drill three or four 1/8'' holes in your thermostat to "compensate" for the bypass.

:confused: I just realized something. I have never put an electric pump on a small block and big blocks don't have this hole :rolleyes:
You can tap the hole with the appropriate size pipe tap and put an allen style plug in it deep enough the top of the plug is flush with the block.

CoolantBypass.jpg

Latest posts

Back