The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 555-60722.jpg
    555-60722.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 11
At the Bowling Green NHRA Hot Rod Reunion swap meet, I bought a steering wheel quick disconnect for $5 ...well, I bought half of one. I got the piece that has the steering wheel mount. I am going to have to make the hex shaped adapter for the steering column.

I may not end up using this exact one (I may buy a new one), but this one gives me something to play with/think about.

At the Bowling Green NHRA Hot Rod Reunion swap meet, I bought a steering wheel quick disconnect for $5 ...well, I bought half of one. I got the piece that has the steering wheel mount. I am going to have to make the hex shaped adapter for the steering column.

I may not end up using this exact one (I may buy a new one), but this one gives me something to play with/think about.

you could find 2 large nuts that fit inside the adapter. just space them apart on the shaft for the lock pin to fit in between [;)

you could find 2 large nuts that fit inside the adapter. just space them apart on the shaft for the lock pin to fit in between [;)

That is what I was hoping to do, but the selections we have at work didn't fit very well. I will probably start with oversized nuts and file to fit.

I have gone to Home Depot and goten a thread connector, ( not sure if that is a correct term ). It will not fit exactly into the wheel part of the disconnect, (too big) but it can be ground down to fit. It's time consuming, and you have to be careful not to go too far, but it does work!
One draw back to this would be having to weld it to the steering shaft. I don't know how much thought you've given to that, but it might be an issue!

To describe what I'm calling a thread connector!!!
Say you want to put two pieces of all thread together, the piece you would use is what I'm calling a thread connector!!! You will usually find it where the all thread is!!

Hope this helps!!

a thread connector is basically a 2" long nut. yes, you are correct, and then you can just turn the groove into it for the pin to fall in. most of thoose style wheel adapters are welded onto the shaft.

put a bolt into the connector, put bolt into a drill, clamp drill into vise, run drill so that when the grinder hits it it tightens the nut on. spin both nut and grinder and you get a nice grove for no $$[cl

I've been anxious to work on this thing but have not been too excited about working in the heat and humidity of Memphis in July.

As much as I hate the heat, I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend.

Last edited:
I've been anxious to work on this thing but have not been too excited about working in the heat and humidity of Memphis in July.

As much as I hate the heat, I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend.

I hear you - its 95+ every day from June to Sept here, but just gotta get out there and do it! Big fan helps, but of course have to turn it off to weld. That's when it's really miserable.

Misting fan

Hey Flipper, Make yourself one of these they work great. When welding point it up over your head ;)
Not too much water pressure though :eek:
The kit's about $45.00 at Home Depot

Last edited:
Hey Flipper, Make yourself one of these they work great. When welding point it up over your head ;)
Not too much water pressure though :eek:
The kit's about $45.00 at Home Depot

We have a shop full of these at my dealership, they also require a high pressure pump, which looks like a pressure washer pump. They don't work very well up here (in KC) and clog nozzles regularly. Adding more humidity to very humid air isn't the answer imo.

We have a shop full of these at my dealership, they also require a high pressure pump, which looks like a pressure washer pump. They don't work very well up here (in KC) and clog nozzles regularly. Adding more humidity to very humid air isn't the answer imo.

Yeah, I think misters/swamp coolers are intended for low humidity areas. Adding more humidity to the barn would probably just make stuff rust faster.

I've been trying really hard to psych myself up for this weekend. I'm gonna try and get out in the shop around 5 AM and go until I can't stand it anymore.

Last edited:
Yea ur right what was I thinkin [S :eek:
Would it work as a mother nature paint machine? he he hmmm :confused:

This was one of those one step forward, two steps back kinda weekends, but I think the car will be better because of it.

I had planned on trying to work a quick disconnect into the jag set-up (I had ruled out the speedway parts because they looked like "new parts"). When I tore into the jag column, I discovered it was a cheezy design that used felt bushings top and bottom and the shaft was 1" bar stock.

IMG_1497.jpg

I decided I needed something with bearings.

I dug through my stash and pulled out what I think is a Dodge column and wheel (cheap swap meet raw material). The wheel is kinda generic with a smooth horn button that can be customized.

IMG_1504.jpg

While mocking up the new coulmn (and exhaust routing), I figured out that the path I had previously picked for the steering sector was too prominent. It needed to blend into the background.

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

To pull this off as simply as possible, I decided I needed a really long steering column (column to sector junction as far away from the firewall as possible).

IMG_1506.jpg

I did not cut the outer tube.

For the lower bearing, I used an off the shelf part from Tractor Supply Company (TSC).

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

Latest posts

Back