another hobby.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, nice story. There's a song out now, a girl singer says, "I know a few things a man should know". Sounds like your daughter is that gal.

Another hobby story.
Tomorrow we are putting on a sleigh ride for our music group. An old trucker friend has some draft horses and a people rack on a sleigh, so we invited him to come to our house and give us a ride. He jumped at the chance, only if he and his wife could stay for the evening and listen to the music. Win, win.
So I had to make some trails. In some places the snow is too deep and in some it's not deep enough. There was also a creek to cross that hasn't had a tractor crossing it in over forty years. I tried to fill the creek in with melting snow but I got stuck in there once. I shoveled my way out and used some hydraulic tricks. As I was pushing more snow in to the creek I caught the corner of the blade on an unseen stump and broke the pole off. So today, I was fixing and welding that dang pole up.
The welding may not be another hobby, but the music night and the sleigh ride are.

Attachments

• IMG_3061.jpg
    IMG_3061.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 25
You guys would laugh out loud if you realized that your violently exaggerated interpretation of my pursuits, was in your imagination. I have never been a fast mover and now there's some more slowness creeping in, due to age.

Thank you for your imagination. :D[ddd:D

You guys would laugh out loud if you realized that your violently exaggerated interpretation of my pursuits, was in your imagination. I have never been a fast mover and now there's some more slowness creeping in, due to age.

Thank you for your imagination. :D[ddd:D

what a relief that is... Watching you go wild on those projects made me feel stupid slow... :rolleyes::D

Well, Dutch, watching you work tin, certainly humbles me, so there.

On another note, here's the group loading up for the sleigh ride.

Attachments

• IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 13
Oh yes, Kenny, they have caulks on their shoes, as did some of the humans. We've had quite a bit of snow this winter and a few big Chinooks so the yards are glass ice with water on top, doubling the slipperiness. A couple of hours before this ride we had an hour of rain on top of the melting ice.
Bama, I don't know what kind of draft horses they are. Shows you how much I know about horses. I do know that horse people start out standing at the better smelling end of the team, but always go around to the lessor smelling end and stay there.

One of our guitarists has a real picture taking wife. She was along on the sleigh-ride and took a lot of pictures. Here are some. The first one shows her artistic side, we had to stop just before a puddle so she could take a reflection shot. It was about 9* or 10*C or nearly 50*F that afternoon and not that windy.

Attachments

• JL's reflected sleigh.jpg
    JL's reflected sleigh.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 20
  • JL's team.jpg
    JL's team.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 18
  • sleigh ride JL's.jpg
    sleigh ride JL's.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 20
  • team sleigh.jpg
    team sleigh.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 18
Nice pics. " horse people start out standing at the better smelling end of the team, but always go around to the lessor smelling end and stay there " The aroma of horse exhaust isn't the most pleasant.[ddd

All had a fine time I bet! By color alone, those horses are probably Friesian. Maybe Shire horses...
I think Friesians have solid black coats for the most part...the Shires generally have stockings and blazes. Although colors can differ when breeds are intermixed, those old draft horses are generally kept purebred and are very valuable. I'm not sure if it's a trait of the breed but Friesians I've seen are "gated"(fancy stepping)

My compliments to the photog....great pix!

All had a fine time I bet! By color alone, those horses are probably Friesian. Maybe Shire horses...
I think Friesians have solid black coats for the most part...the Shires generally have stockings and blazes. Although colors can differ when breeds are intermixed, those old draft horses are generally kept purebred and are very valuable. I'm not sure if it's a trait of the breed but Friesians I've seen are "gated"(fancy stepping)

My compliments to the photog....great pix!

Not what breed they are but they don`t look like Friesians to me. [S I`ve shoed a bunch but they all look the same underneath... :rolleyes::D

Latest posts

Back