U joint issues

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

This may be obvious to you guys, but it had me stumped for a bit. I've been chasing some U joint issues in the 51 Chev I'd built. I've put 3 rear U joints in it in 5000k. First time I thought it was likely I'd forgotten to lube, or faulty joint. Then it happened again. Checked angles, all good. Happened again. I'd saved the old joints (because that's what guys like I do). Now I started looking closer at them - all failed on the differential yoke only. The two driveshaft journals and cups were fine, as was the front joint. I found this video (below) online and I'm sure I've found the cause now - the pockets in the diff yoke are worn. New yoke is on the way.

https://4xshaft.com/blogs/faq/why-do-i-keep-wearing-out-and-or-breaking-u-joints

attachment.php

WAY TO GO BILL !!!!!!

Attachments

• 22ift0.jpg
    22ift0.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 34
Good detective work. I had that problem on my 74 Blazer long ago, the little tabs that keep it centered in the rear end yoke were worn down, constantly chewing up U-joints. I fixed it by selling it....:eek:

Latest posts

Back