Model A extended cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't seen anything from you for a while. (I thought you retired.:rolleyes: :D)

PSA: Unlike the fabulous Mr Minter, I will not climb on my roof to take pictures for you guys. :p

Well you're no fun LOL

And you have not heard from you in a while because I have been stupid busy

Looking cool, don't like to criticize some ones ride but this just stands out to me.With the size of that front axle and those tires with air bags the radius rods look vulnerable to me. I'm thinking if turning in a drive way or catch a curb or bad lip all the force is going to be on the upper rod and the heim joints . I'm not an engineer but that seems a lot to ask of a rod that's a little bigger than your thumb. I don't have much of a solution, bracing between the rods would help but the single shear heim joint is just on it's own. ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1025190558_HDR.jpg
    1025190558_HDR.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 80
Looking cool, don't like to criticize some ones ride but this just stands out to me.With the size of that front axle and those tires with air bags the radius rods look vulnerable to me. I'm thinking if turning in a drive way or catch a curb or bad lip all the force is going to be on the upper rod and the heim joints . I'm not an engineer but that seems a lot to ask of a rod that's a little bigger than your thumb. I don't have much of a solution, bracing between the rods would help but the single shear heim joint is just on it's own. ;)

attachment.php

No worries sir!! That's why we are here, to help each other and learn. The rear heim will not be left single sheer. I will build an outer bracket that wraps around the frame.
The heims are 5/8 throat with a 5/8 stem. I agree the front end is alittle bigger than conventional lol. The tubing used is 1.5 .120 wall which I have ran on off road trucks with 1 ton front ends and 37' tires. I will add ladder bracing or something inside of it.

This monster is far from done. I just needed it out side so I could put something else in the shop

The owner of the truck made the trip across the mountain pass today To drop off some parts. Got a killer Gas tank and he scored a really nice Grill and radiator . The radiator is new. So it will withstand the tire pressure of the newer engines cooling systems. All the slat work and everything like it's supposed to.

Attachments

• 0209201559.jpg
    0209201559.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 0209201559a.jpg
    0209201559a.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 0209201559b.jpg
    0209201559b.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 0209201602c.jpg
    0209201602c.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 0209201507_HDR.jpg
    0209201507_HDR.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 0209201602b.jpg
    0209201602b.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 42
thats a neat grille, need to run a bowden cable, if you can shutter it for aero on the highway that and the 50 gal tank will take you halfway across the US! :D [cl[cl[cl

NICE grille and shell! Finally something different than an A or 32 shell.

I'll second that! The winter slats are "cool" as well. (Pun intended. :p)

Minter: Just a friendly word of caution, in case you're not aware. The radiator tanks are original and the original cooling system was "open to atmosphere", no pressure cap, no pressure in the tanks, no pressure anywhere.

Just saying, you could, potentially, "balloon" the tanks and split the solder seams with pressure...

I'll second that! The winter slats are "cool" as well. (Pun intended. :p)

Minter: Just a friendly word of caution, in case you're not aware. The radiator tanks are original and the original cooling system was "open to atmosphere", no pressure cap, no pressure in the tanks, no pressure anywhere.

Just saying, you could, potentially, "balloon" the tanks and split the solder seams with pressure...

Well that would suck, he payed alot of money for this set up:eek:

Well that would suck, he payed alot of money for this set up:eek:

Hard to pin down without specific information. Whomever recored the radiator may have tested it @ 15 lbs and knows the tanks can live with the pressure. If the radiator guy did that, he would have no choice but to swap the neck for a neck designed for a pressure cap.

If the rad guy didn't change the neck, it was never pressure tested with a pressure cap. I would be wary of that...

Last edited:
Hard to pin down without specific information. Whomever recored the radiator may have tested it @ 15 lbs and knows the tanks can live with the pressure. If the radiator guy did that, he would have no choice but to swap the neck for a neck designed for a pressure cap.

If the rad guy didn't change the neck, it was never pressure tested with a pressure cap. I would be wary of that...

Makes sense.

I ran our coupe with an old radiator for a while with no issues. But not the same radiator

I'll talk to the owner, might just have to go aluminum:(

[cl [ddd Whipplecharger! [ddd [cl​

Oh yeah! We are doing a Texas Speed Cam Kit with their supercharged design Cam. New Springs locks retainers will re gasket the engine. Transmission was all built before I got it. We're putting new injectors in the engine with the supercharger. Company we went through said this particular charger on the pulleys they're sending us will make no less than 200 horsepower extra! Should be fun

Parts!

Not too happy that they carve their name in the top of it without telling us. None of the pictures on their website show them done that way. That's what we were waiting for was the Machine Shop to get done with I'm assuming. We will be making a name plate that goes over the top of it

Attachments

• 0506201902.jpg
    0506201902.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Back