new to me daily

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when someone takes the time to bondo shock towers after 3 layers of hack job over rust.... :rolleyes:

Got some reconstruction to do here ( and on the other side ) To make sure my fenders will still bolt on correctly, I`m going to work from the outside in.
Once these new panels are tacked in place I will cut out the mess in the enginebay and have the new part to guide me.

Attachments

• IMGP0748.jpg
    IMGP0748.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP0745.jpg
    IMGP0745.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMGP0744.jpg
    IMGP0744.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 35
finished the shock tower area repair today. The small to large radius reversed curve took some time to get right... First and second attempts with the shrinker/stretcher ended up in the experience bin. The third was a great plan.
I cut 2 pieces of metal in the desired curve and gas welded them together. Then I hammered it into the radius needed. Actually...I made 3. :rolleyes:
The first one I welded the strip to the wrong side. While making the second one, I was distracted by my wife so I did the same thing again :D The third one worked just fine... welcome to my world.
Still got a couple smaller holes to fix and then it`s on to the other side... [;)

Attachments

• IMGP0780.jpg
    IMGP0780.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP0791.jpg
    IMGP0791.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP0807.jpg
    IMGP0807.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP0815.jpg
    IMGP0815.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMGP0810.jpg
    IMGP0810.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMGP0812.jpg
    IMGP0812.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 33
Been a while since the last update on the bmw.
I got a lot of repairs done, but still a bunch to go... 47yrs of Dutch weather and salt took a bite :rolleyes:

I am out of the engine bay. It needed everal firewall repairs and both inner fenders / spring towers had bad structural damage and in several spots I had to remove good metal to get to the crap further down the rabbithole, but I got all the rot out and there`s no trace left of previous hack jobs... just mine. :) There`s a big difference with these cars compared to 60`s / 70`s US cars when it comes to sheet metal repairs. There is way less room for everything so if there`s a dimple in a panel, you better make sure you get it in the exact same spot when making a replacement panel, or you will run into problems with parts that need that space. No room for shortcuts.
I also replaced both sills and I was surprised to see the insides looked almost like brand new, while the outer panels were rusty between the rot. Driver`s side floors are next. Lots of shape in those panels, so that will be a challenge.

Meanwhile I rebuilt all 4 brake calipers and Im happy to have found a pair of NOS OEM front struts. Someone actually repaired them with bondo :eek:
Installed new Bilstein B6 shocks and wheel bearings ,so that ready for install once the body is done.

All in all about 83.6% more work than anticipated...still happy with the car tho.

Attachments

• IMGP1096.jpg
    IMGP1096.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMGP1011.jpg
    IMGP1011.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMGP1006.jpg
    IMGP1006.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMGP0926.jpg
    IMGP0926.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMGP1101.jpg
    IMGP1101.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 17
pics...

Attachments

• IMGP1120.jpg
    IMGP1120.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 16
  • IMGP1211.jpg
    IMGP1211.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMGP1356.jpg
    IMGP1356.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMGP1432.jpg
    IMGP1432.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMGP1281.jpg
    IMGP1281.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 16
finished the shock tower area repair today. The small to large radius reversed curve took some time to get right... First and second attempts with the shrinker/stretcher ended up in the experience bin. The third was a great plan.
I cut 2 pieces of metal in the desired curve and gas welded them together. Then I hammered it into the radius needed. Actually...I made 3. :rolleyes:
The first one I welded the strip to the wrong side. While making the second one, I was distracted by my wife so I did the same thing again :D The third one worked just fine... welcome to my world.
Still got a couple smaller holes to fix and then it`s on to the other side... [;)

DUTCH...Did you pound out that shock tower bowl?

DUTCH...Did you pound out that shock tower bowl?

Nope... That part is 3mm think ( I think that would be 11ga [S ) and I estimate
a 75ton press would be needed to make that shape.
On both sides all edges were gone so I repaired that and then made the sheetmetal rapair panels. Those bowls are the certer piece of the inner fenders and the 19ga sheetmetal is spotwelded to it. Needless to say, the contact area is well know for its disappearance act :rolleyes:

little update on the daily... The poor thing has been neglected for almost 2 months... :eek:
After the both rocker panels were done it was time to do something about the ds floors. For some reason water entered the vehicle and created some vent holes.
I replaced about 75 % of the floor surface which turned out to be a whole lotta work. There`s so much shape and detail in those panels. The front seat bracket was toast so I made a new one for that as well. Plan is to finish and weld it in tomorrow.
I cut out the rear seat support to be able to replace that floor board and repair the bottom of the seat support. Next up are the rear inner fenders / shock mounts... The rust holes there are big enough for a lama to stick its head through and the cause of tire noise in the cabin, so something needs to be done there :rolleyes: and after that there`s more rust for sure.

oh ,I did score a set of 14x7 Alpina alloys for it today :cool:

Attachments

• IMGP1429.jpg
    IMGP1429.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMGP1615.jpg
    IMGP1615.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMGP1633.jpg
    IMGP1633.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMGP1639.jpg