The HAMB strikes again

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
Guess it was inevitable, the powers that be pulled my Gasser Packard from the traditional builds forum and moved it to "Projects", a category that I can't even find on their site. What is traditional?? Recreating the same old thing endlessly? I guess if you're not building the bazillionth Model A or 32, the narrow minded old farts just can't deal with it. Oh well, thankfully we have this forum that welcomes everyone.

Haha, "traditional" is whatever they say it is! I've seen rat rods being built by some of the in-crowd & they never say a word! Nothing ever changes over yonder! [S:eek:

Toad

That's exactly why I have never been a member over there. What a joke.

It's all good. We like it over here!

no surprise... been there, left quick :D Not many places left where everyone is treated with a little respect. I like this place. :)

This is the most interesting site I've ever seen.
Cars, truck, boats, houses and tractors are all welcome here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess it was inevitable, the powers that be pulled my Gasser Packard from the traditional builds forum and moved it to "Projects", a category that I can't even find on their site. What is traditional?? Recreating the same old thing endlessly? I guess if you're not building the bazillionth Model A or 32, the narrow minded old farts just can't deal with it. Oh well, thankfully we have this forum that welcomes everyone.

I just looked, and it's still very easy to find, it's in the Hokey Ass Message Board section of the forum. It got tagged as a "project" (Build thread), but it's still there and was one of the top threads in that part of the forum when I looked. The firetruck build got put in the antiquated, but yours is still in a busy part of the forum

The narrow-mindedness over there is certainly frustrating, but I have found there's a lot to learn on there as well, same as here. The jerk attitude that used to be commonplace there has diminished quite a bit, and it's much more friendly now.

Your car doesn't meet the (narrow) traditional hotrod definition over there, for sure, but there are a lot of builds that don't and still get lots of traffic.

I agree with Snopro, there’s a world of knowledge over there, as well as a bunch of narrow minded elites who live in the past. Hot rod site? No, more a restoration site if you ask me. Building a hot rod you make it better with better stuff, not necessarily what was good but now outdated. If you want to make it representative of a certain year cutoff, fine, just don’t badmouth those that want to incorporate newer things. We all have our likes and dislikes, I try to respect all of them even if I would have done things differently.

Another thing that bugs me is the intense hate of the term “ street rod” or anything they deem to be “ street roddy”. They can’t even explain it!

I’ve guided several people over our way, some stayed, some didn’t. I showed them what a good bunch we have here! [cl[cl[cl

I remember going to a local car show sponsored by a group active on the Hamb. They had lots of nice cars pre 65 I believe. Guy asked what my project was and I told him I didn’t have an old car but my projects are an 87 Samurai and 89 F150. He basically turned and walked away from me. Hey I’d love to have a pre 70 car but I don’t and I always thought “run what ya brung” was the idea. Never went to their car show again and hardly ever go to Hamb unless someone here or elsewhere might post a link. Jim

I started out there. Was turned off my the vulgarity and closed minds. Hardly ever go there even though it's cleaned up a lot. I do pop in on the HAMB dragster sub-site once in a while.

To me, the closed minds and narrow views expressed there are an example of what is wrong with the hobby. If we want this to be passed on to the next generation of car nuts, you need to keep an open mind and above all, TALK to people. I love showing what I've done to young guys and answering questions about even the smallest things, it's how we learn. Being a grump and waving them off is a sure way to follow the path of the dinosaurs....
I look at all kinds of cars at shows, I like the creativity and free thinking even if it's never going to be something I would build, there's always something to be learned and maybe tweaked and applied to my stuff.

I agree with zz! I never had any formal training for mechanics. I learned everything I've ever learned from watching other people do things. I have some natural ability to work with my hands and my mind, but if not for my Pop and a few others that I watched while I "helped" I wouldn't be able to work on stuff. One that comes to mind was a neighbor that I had when I bought my first house. When I moved next to John, he had over 30 Packards and Desotos in his yard. He also owned his own junk yard which came in very handy when parts were needed. He also had the knack to barter. The most important thing he taught me was what he told me one time. "The best way to learn how to do anything is jump right in and do it." Never forgot that...

I agree with you zz. I like most everything with wheels and burns fossil fuel. Some cars I like a lot more than others. Restorers are probably the strictest sub set in the car hobby. The HAMB guys are like restorers of old hot rods, with exceptions for their favored members. They live by pretty strict rules too. Their builds have to conform. In the HAMB dragster group I doubt there is one left that meets the rules laid down. But that's okay, we're having fun.

I’m with you Bobw, I love almost everything with wheels. I can tolerate electric stuff as long as nobody is trying to force me to buy one! I’ll keep on burning dead dinosaurs as long as I’m able!:D

What is weird is that just because they don’t like something doesn’t mean otheres do not. I often have people walk up to me about the Suzuki. There is only 1 other in town and are rare over all. We had a X90 for a few years that I often saw people taking pictures of. Had a guy come up to me in a parking lot thinking it was home built. I saw a car in a parking lot, Honda I think, that wasn’t my style but it was the owners. I said to her how nice it was and she just beamed talking about it. Jim

zz your still there, your on the 4th page right now. they changed the prefix to your thread, they didn't hide it.

Latest posts

Back