1970 Oldsmobile 442 4 spd

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corsair

Hi all

I have a 1970 Olds 442. I got my mitts on in 2005, restored it, and have been driving it ever since. Sold at Holiday Chev Olds here in Winnipeg, our family are the second owners.

Originally it was drums brakes all round, AM radio, manual steering, no a/c, manual windows, and a 4 speed Muncie (M20), squared off Hurst aluminum shift knob. Kind of a stripped down variant. It runs an E-head 455 olds engine. I put discs up front and added power steering but thats it.

The previous owner threw in a spare Holley 650 double pumper (I found the original Qjet) and a set of like-new Blackjack headers. At some point he rebuilt the engine and put in a lumpy cam (Note to self - talk to Bobby and get those specs).

I'm running the Qjet and headers on the stock 455. Repainted about 7 years ago - thats the stock colour and paint scheme - "Bamboo" yellow. Typical Olds colour back in the day - and they had chose great names for them. Obviously the product of several hours of board meetings at GM. I think "Ocean Mist" Green is another. BTW Olds' Bamboo yellow is the same as Chevy's Butternut yellow.

The hood is kind of interesting, its the W25 hood with external locks and the functional ram.

Enjoy.

(It was raining most of the day. I will get better pics when the weather clears up).

The green poncho beside it is a 1996 Firebird with an LT1. My son bought it this summer, got a great deal for such a low km car (80k kilometres). Nice driver - I'm babysitting it for him while he goes to school, out of town.

Last edited:
Thanks Iron.

Its been pouring all day but I will try to get some better pics. I put larger meats on the rear axles this year and to my eye it looks much better. These cars practically cry for "big and littles". Or maybe its just my style sensibilities, locked into 1974. :rolleyes:

Diggin' the 442! [cl My wife had a 71 or 72 Cutlass when we met, she traded it in on a Mustang II [S:eek:
She wants another one, but they are few and far between anymore. The black brothers like them too, and snatch up every one they find.

Just before paint!

This pic was taken a number of years ago, just after I found her. Undeniable "rattiness" at this point, just before we took her in for paint. A ratted out muscle car may be getting the best of both worlds, I guess. [S But I can't unpaint it now. :D

Note the old 14" cast slots! I will try to dig for more pics.

EDIT: Nose patina with the PO's '70's brown paint job.

Latest posts

Back