Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the one head off while ago and disassembled number 8. Valves look good. No dings in the piston top. No metal pieces. The stems slip nicely in the guides. Gas stayed in the dish with the valves held in place with my finger. Noticed the exhaust valve was missing the oil seal...:rolleyes: Maybe would have allowed it to smoke later, but don't really think it caused the main problem I had.
I'm thinking Dr's idea on valve adjustment is the only thing that happened(well that and a failed lifter)to wipe the lobe. I did do that twice while looking for the problem(engine running). Still not sure about the bent push rod. Can't see anything that looks screwed up.
Sitting here tapping my toes. Motor is at the carrier terminal and they are supposed to call me here...2pm and not yet....

My theory: When the exhaust valve quit opening, the cylinder pressure went though the roof and the intake push rod gave in.

Got that crate motor yet? [S [S

My theory: When the exhaust valve quit opening, the cylinder pressure went though the roof and the intake push rod gave in.

Got that crate motor yet? [S [S

probably right Doc! Yessir, got it today finally. Little ****ed about how long it took. Jegs is usually really fast on their stuff. Shippers are like the building industry right now I guess...they took their time. Got the 11-3 window for today(was slated for 8-28). Driver called an hour ahead to tell me I was his next stop. I told him to look for a kubota loader at the gate. 5 minutes after I left the house for the barn to get the tractor(my only ride right now) here came the monsoon, florida style...Got wet the whole mile to the highway, the whole hour I waited standing under the loader bucket trying to stay semi dry as the lightning show from hell danced around the pine trees...got the delivery and toted it home. I'll be lucky if I don't get sick. Soaking wet for a while getting the motor in a handling position out there on the chain fall. Took a hot shower and changed into some dry clothes but not feeling the greatest right now. Tomorrow I'll do the assembly and maybe get a ride...

Got wet the whole mile to the highway, the whole hour I waited standing under the loader bucket trying to stay semi dry as the lightning show from hell danced around the pine trees...

When a lightning storm rolls in, get soaking wet and stand under a large metal object. Wear a ball cap with a copper button/rivet, maintain 6" to 8" gap and wait. :eek:

Seriously, I'm glad you survived and finally have your new motor in house! [cl

When a lightning storm rolls in, get soaking wet and stand under a large metal object. Wear a ball cap with a copper button/rivet, maintain 6" to 8" gap and wait. :eek:

Seriously, I'm glad you survived and finally have your new motor in house! [cl

Might sound funny to you but yes, It was the safest thing I could do for the situation believe it or not. Oh, I guess I could have just said screw it on the motor. Not like I can hide in the house until somebody shows up at the gate. Can't see it from the house. Takes a while to get there on a tractor. Pine trees are lightning rods. I was as far as I could get from them hugged up under a cabbage palm(low tree) with the bucket pointed down. Didn't like it a bit. Since last wednesday when I tried to make it to town, I've only left home twice with rides from friends. Seems like everything right now is turning into a marathon deal. Everything I touch is giving me fits. But I'm still upright...ya might say with my health, everything is a half-hearted affair!

Stay strong smallfoot.
It's tough when you have to depend on others for a ride to anywhere.
I'm dreading the day my 12 year old daily bites the dust as it's one of the few newer vehicles I can drive because of the leg.
Torchie

smallfoot, Don't do anything (else) dangerous. It's easy to overdo when you get into a project (ask me about it). Remember, your health is precious.

Besides, I'm visiting you when we go to Florida in January. Any good BBQ places around?

man I swear, sometimes it seems like the only time something like your storm happens is in that window when you are trying to get something done. [cl[cl

glad to hear you are getting it sorted though

Might sound funny to you but yes, It was the safest thing I could do for the situation believe it or not.

I don't find it funny at all. I live in a geographical zone I like to call "Tornado Alley North". It's no laughing matter when hell comes to call and I've feared for my life on many occasions.

My apologies, small. I mean no disrespect and I've been huddled beside (or under) large pieces of iron wearing a copper riveted ball cap...

Thanks all! I don't mean to sound like a grouch. I guess if I had any wits, I'd be at the end of them.

bobw, My buddy had to close his roadside stand but there are places around...
hope to get a visit!

If things cooperate, I'll get a ride today. Some issues I've been thru include finding water in the tranny when disconnecting cooler lines. It took lots of cleaning to get most of it out and will do a pump flush when it runs again. And I thought I liked strawberry milkshakes. Yesterday, just about to get everything on the motor to set it in and noticed the valve covers on the goodwrench motor has all different sized holes for hoses and filler caps etc. When removing them, I found that they glued both sides of the gasket making the cheap tins impossible to remove without damage.:rolleyes: Another thing I've been dealing with is extra paint. Every hole was so jammed up, I took taps to everything to clean the holes. They had plugs and covers for most big holes but all threads were jammed up so bad the bolts would fight every inch of the way. All small stuff but adds time when you're doing it all. I know better than hurrying. The faster I go, the behinder I get....

I don't find it funny at all. I live in a geographical zone I like to call "Tornado Alley North". It's no laughing matter when hell comes to call and I've feared for my life on many occasions.

My apologies, small. I mean no disrespect and I've been huddled beside (or under) large pieces of iron wearing a copper riveted ball cap...

Do a search on "Lightning Alley" in Florida...It's where I live!

I'm back on the road. Motor runs good! Cranked it to break in the cam. Did not get above 195 during the break in. Topped off the fluids. Checked for leaks. Ran it down the driveway to the highway at 180 temp and out on the road to town it ran at 160 temp...Got a little more pep than the 305, even if I didn't get in it, I can tell. Feels good to get mobile again even if I don't go anywhere.:D

Eman, I'm taking my break now. I learned about pushing too hard 3 years ago on that heart business. Funny thing, I think the only reason I'm above the grass is I haven't stopped going...it's a catch 22!

phew that's good news... !!

I always miss the small stuff .. like the motor swap in the parts chaser.. something didn't fell right for the first month or so till I tightened up the motor mounts one side. Duh!.. while it would make me a tad ****y with all the extra work arounds,, think it would make me more aware of dumb stuff..

Good Job Small.. good job [cl

Latest posts

Back