Help Identify Brakes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22t

Hey Guys,
Just pulled these drum brakes off the front of my 31A(upgraded to disks).Can anyone identify what they came from and or are they worth anything? I would like to know what they are so I can list them for sale. Maybe someone else can use them.

Attachments

• 2014-04-13 17.31.54.jpg
    2014-04-13 17.31.54.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 2014-04-13 17.32.06.jpg
    2014-04-13 17.32.06.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 2014-04-13 17.32.14.jpg
    2014-04-13 17.32.14.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2014-04-13 17.34.34.jpg
    2014-04-13 17.34.34.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 33
Round paint outline on the back indicates the use of 1937-41 round back spindles.
Backing plates and drums are from 40-48. The drums you show are the style that has the hub mounted on the outside of the drum.
Can be problematic to press the drum from the hub as they are swedged. Shop needs to know what they are doing.
This set up was the go to conversion from mechanical brakes for many years.
I might be interested in them.
PM me with your price, condition and location as shipping will not be cheap due to weight.
Torchie.

Here is what you have: the backing plate setups are from a 40-41 (later ones had only two adjustment nuts per side, 40-41 had 4 adjustment points.

From what I can see in the picture, the drums look like 46-48 because the hub is on the outside of the drum and the earlier ones had the hub on the inside. But I can't see the outside of the drums to be sure.

The guys are right , shipping is the killer, these babies are HEAVY. The main problem with these is that they are expensive to do a brake job on. I have about $400 in parts for the front ones on my rpu and I am not done yet.

Don

Oh, I just noticed the one picture of the drums, yes, they are 46-48.

I have an old gasser axle that looks like it has the same backing plates but is supposed to have 1950-1955 f100 drums.
I don't like those kind of shoes I like the adjustable ones

Well, at least he had the courtesy to come back and thank us for identifying his parts for him. :rolleyes: I just love people who do a thread and after lots of responses they are never heard from again.

Oh well.

Don

Well, at least he had the courtesy to come back and thank us for identifying his parts for him. :rolleyes: I just love people who do a thread and after lots of responses they are never heard from again.

Oh well.

Don

He got what he needed and left. Don, do you feel used? ;)

I imagine that they are listed on E-bay by now.
The key words to remember are these....
"What do I have and How much is it worth".
I'm not going to bother responding to those kinds of posts anymore.
Torchie.

Well, if I need to identify something, the internet is where I go. I've joined up on different forums just to get the info because that's where it is (like when I was the owner of a Cadillac STS).
I sell a couple sets of those backing plates a year on ebay. The drums are roached about 90% of the time and not worth anything.

Latest posts

Back