Muscle cars of '79 ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of all the 79 cars this is my favorite ( this one exactly isn't mine just a pic I found)

cougartattoo001.jpg

never called a pony car a muscle car.so i believe the last mucle cars where 71-72 with the chevelle gto hurst and 442 olds as for as gm goes. they did build a 79 bandit special t/a with 400 cid and 4 speed that ran pretty good but it is not a muscle car.

ps i forgot the buick gs and gsx

Last edited:
I will venture to say the last muscle cars were 1972...after that the compression and horsepower were going away fast! Definitely no muscle cars in the late 70's or 80's in my opinion and I grew up during the late 60's!

That 79 T Bird you pictured brought back a lot of memories. In 78 my company ordered my new company car for me and it was a Cougar. I requested it to be that new blue they had that year with a fawn colored top and continental type thing on the back. I had seen one like that and it was sharp.

When the car came in I flew up to the home office in Chicago to pick it up and they said we have some good news and some bad news. Good news is the car came in. Bad news is, the factory reversed the colors ! The body was a fawn color and the top and continental were blue ! :eek: There were a bunch of people standing around looking at it, half said it was really nice and half said it was ugly as h***.

Since I was stuck in Chicago I decided to take in anyway and everywhere I went people had to ask questions about it........"Is this a special edition", etc. My friends said I looked like a pimp driving it, but the car actually grew on me and it was a really good car qualitywise.

A few years later I bought a 79 T Bird for myself because of how much I liked the 78, but this time I bought one in Burgandy. :D

Don

Did you put the shag carpet on the dash too!!!! LOL

Couldn't be any worse than that crazy blue green color GM used in 77 78 camaros with the saddle brown interior..:eek:...we got so many of those into the dealership and believe it or not, they sold quickly.. :)

That 79 T Bird you pictured brought back a lot of memories. In 78 my company ordered my new company car for me and it was a Cougar. I requested it to be that new blue they had that year with a fawn colored top and continental type thing on the back. I had seen one like that and it was sharp.

When the car came in I flew up to the home office in Chicago to pick it up and they said we have some good news and some bad news. Good news is the car came in. Bad news is, the factory reversed the colors ! The body was a fawn color and the top and continental were blue ! :eek: There were a bunch of people standing around looking at it, half said it was really nice and half said it was ugly as h***.

Since I was stuck in Chicago I decided to take in anyway and everywhere I went people had to ask questions about it........"Is this a special edition", etc. My friends said I looked like a pimp driving it, but the car actually grew on me and it was a really good car qualitywise.

A few years later I bought a 79 T Bird for myself because of how much I liked the 78, but this time I bought one in Burgandy. :D

Don

Right on. This one is a cougar. I've had 2 one was the twin to the one I posted but beyond rusty and the other was a $300 beater I drove for a few years ( loved that car) and I had a 78 t-bird. The 77-79 cougars and t-birds are about the same car, however every bolt hole is about 1/8 inch off.

Did you have the 351 w or 302 in your 79?

It was a 351 M, and the only problem I ever had with it was a valve spring keeper broke but the valve didn't drop into the piston. I pumped up the cylinder with air, replaced the spring and put a new keeper on it, and the car was still running when I sold it a few years later.

We also had a 72 T Bird that looked like a baby Lincoln Continental. It had a 429 in it and that thing would fly.:D

Don

Latest posts

Back