1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would rather staple myself to a stump than fix rust. but its always a necessary evil. youre of a special ilk! [cl[cl[cl

Yesterday's progress:

We finished the door handle to trunk handle conversion. In the photos below, the left handle is a virgin door handle and the right handle is modified to become a trunk handle...

attachment.php

As you can see, we whittled the stem down, changed the orientation 90° and threaded the stabby pokey end. Thank You Uncle Ron (RIP) for the excellent tap and die set! :D

attachment.php

More photographic phoolery. These two were identical before the stem modification, which is the only difference... yet the left looks considerably larger than the right. [S

attachment.php

Back to the rocker and cowl repairs. We finished the inner parts and got started on the outer, which drops another EMS turd on our plate. (Again, it resembles the original but doesn't match very well anywhere.) So we're not eating that meal again, but figgered we could make a section fit.

We chopped out a piece, roughly as shown...

attachment.php

Some reshaping, some trimming and we grafted it in...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Still have some grinding and blending to do, some craters to fill and yes, I got a little too hammer happy and left a dent. :eek:

attachment.php

Attachments

• body131 2.jpg
    body131 2.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 94
  • body131.jpg
    body131.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 47
  • body133.jpg
    body133.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 46
  • body135.jpg
    body135.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 47
  • body136.jpg
    body136.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 46
  • body137.jpg
    body137.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 47
  • body134.jpg
    body134.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 48
My other half tells me "You do good work, what little you do"!!
I guess if the shoe fits, wear it. Nice job on the handle.
I don't envy all the rust repair you've had to do.
Stay after it. [cl[cl[P[P[cl[cl

I'm a regular flippin' David Copperfield. I can make shadows, waves and dents appear out of thin air, stretch door handles with my mind and create left-hand threads with a right-hand die. :p

Stay tuned for the next illusion, when B-tard, myself and a smart phone defy reality once again. I'd tell you about, but I don't know what it is. (I'm not psychic, you know.)

Still working on it, but not much to show for the time spent.

We had a few things to finish before starting something new. The rocker repairs are now complete inside and out. The cowl repair is also done, inner and outer.

attachment.php

Backing up some 18 months :rolleyes: we left the floor pans and tunnel loose until now, simply for our convenience.

attachment.php

B-tard and myself both have back problems, so welding them at this height is reasonable, if not necessary. Leaving them loose also gave us easy access to the inner rockers and the body mounts, which weld to the rockers and the floors. Anyhow, all of that is done now... rockers done, mounts done, floors welded in.

Late in the day, we chose a small task. Drilling holes in a fresh paint job doesn't turn me on, so we decided on the tail light location, marked, drilled and mounted them. They're '40 Chevy repops and were returned to storage shortly thereafter.

The man in black is my slim self, attempting to block some glare. (Like Mom always said, I make a better door than a window. :D)

attachment.php

Attachments

• body138.jpg
    body138.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Floor tunnel7.JPG
    Floor tunnel7.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 52
  • body140.jpg
    body140.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts