Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 12-15-2021, 12:22 AM

Default Goldcar Story cont.

Ron worked on completing the support bracing for the driver fender mounting on both front fenders. Once complete we can lift the car up with the hydraulic lift to have better access to making the plates for the running board mounting to the side of the car so we don’t have to crawl around on the floor. We’re getting a little too old to easily execute some of the necessary maneuvers. I cut and fabricated the inner support rails for the passenger front fender. Ready to make the inner fender panel and front frame cover next week. Plan to finish mounting the fender. Once completed we will start finalizing the passenger running board.

4/5/2021

Should have most of the front metal fabrication almost done by end of the week. We’ve had a few distractions this week in spite of that we accomplished a lot this week. We’re building the new front fender and bumper trim pieces. What a difference having the new tools to work with in completing our projects. This was not a possibility when we first built the car. One of the front trim piece is cut out of sheet metal 3/4” x 3/4” x 36” , bent into a 90 degree angle , take the shrinker and curve the metal ends, then put a bow into the same piece to make it all fit together with a very finished look. That’s just one small piece of what you see in the pictures. My grandson, Ethan came to see me so we decided to go help Ron and see what was accomplished. Perfect timing to see the front section in proxy primer.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:53 AM

TA-DA! New look up Front fabrication completed. Here’s a peek at our support system underneath. It turned out looking very good if we do say so ourselves.

Here is a pic (below) with the top plate mounted on the brace and clamped in place.

Starting to finish the last part of widening the rear fenders. Here’s a sneak peak. Still some trimming excess metal but starting to take shape.

Worked on the passenger running board. Completed lay out, installed rivnuts for studs and cut spacers which will be welded to the framework so the running board will be secured to the frame and not the side of the body for support.

remove body plastic so we can reshape the hood since we had to move the radiator support forward for increased clearance between radiator and fan blades. Hand made jig to shape the front part of the hood to the exact shape of the grill. We’ll add some sheet metal to fill in the space and never know the difference.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:15 AM

5/10/21

Both running boards are complete except for making final template and cut top plate on passenger side. Cutting the rubber top mat from final driver side running board floor pan. Fabricated the edge trim for each of the new panels to fill in between fender and front bumper. Ron welded them in place and prepped for primer and first coat of body plastic! A milestone in our progress. Doing final fit next week for complete driver side. Then everything comes off and we start to make each piece look pretty!

Starting to polish the under the hood dash instrument cover. So far three hours into the process of the two pieces. Probably another hour or two on each and they will look like a mirror.

Big day today in our progress...(5-17-21)...our first pieces in primer and undercoat on the bottom of running board! Things are starting to move forward at a more rapid pace. Metal fabrication starting to wind down. Still some fabrication left but the majority of the that work is completed. We’re both excited about our progress. Body plastic not far behind.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:37 AM
Still crazy after all these years!

What a major project you have there. A real labor of love. Makes for a great story.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob w View Post
What a major project you have there. A real labor of love. Makes for a great story.
Thank you! My grandfather said if we had $.50 for every hour we put into the original build we could have bought a new Cadillac. After this re build, I think Ron and I both could drive our choice of anything on the lot! LOL

This build is really a dream come true thanks to Ron. He has been the mastermind driving many of the changes and updates. Having the opportunity to participate has made this time just as special as the first.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:01 PM

Completed making the stands to mount fenders for prep and paint. Driver Fenders probably ready for primer tomorrow, running board finished ready for primer and cut rubber mat for surface. Completed driver running board. Undercoated, painted and rubber cut...DONE!

Driver fender first coat of body plastic.

5/24/21

Driver fender modifications and body work complete! If we can get the rain to stop long enough we will get this fender in paint primer.

Fabricated the mounting brackets for the roll bar today, completed template for final floor pan to clean up the cut out mess I made with a chisel when we first built it, removed all of the left over carpet stuck to the floor board, drilled pilot holes for right rear fender and finished fabrication.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:45 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Lookin great
Old 12-24-2021, 10:47 AM
Still crazy after all these years!

Yep, looks great.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:32 PM

Passenger running board ready for final welding and new radiator support bar cut and ready to finish fabrication on passenger side. Hoping to continue making faster progress if we can get the rain to stop long enough to start getting more parts in epoxy paint primer and on its way to paint prep.

Driver lower engine panel in primer today as well. I included a pic of the old shifter I picked up at a flea market and installed the last time I refreshed with different engine and changed to an automatic transmission back in 2000.

Removed the old shifter and started to determine what will be required to install. As usual, looks like another challenge to resolve. No plug and play here!

5/31/21

New Locar shifter mounted with a “little” modification. We had to extended the top mounting bracket with a piece of fabricated aluminum to match the bends. While we had access I built a new mounting plate for the rear transmission mount to strengthen and cleanup the look. We were able to utilize our new mount to weld a bracket to strengthen the shifter as well. Turned out very nice with plenty of support. The shift linkage was rubbing against the kick down switch so we bent the linkage at about a 20 degree angle, extended the shift rod about 8” and cleared everything. Installed a new cable for the kick down switch. I’m sure it will work much better than our old make shift steel rod that grandpa and I made for the original overdrive kick down, which didn’t work very well with the different engine/transmission change back in 2000

Rerouted the left front brake line to keep it out of the new engine side panel. Ron trying to have the driver rear fender in epoxy primer Wednesday. By the end of the week we hope to do a final fit for the driver side before beginning to prep for primer. Starting to knock off the small details on the mechanical side so we don’t contaminate our paint surfaces with dirt and lubricants. New floor pan patch angels completed and ready to install since transmission work is done. I’ll complete the floor patch panel installation and everything is prepped to install the new roll bar mounts. Once completed I’ll treat the entire inside of the car to prevent rust in the future.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:40 AM

6/7/21

Built and installed the roll bar mounts, started prepping inside to spray sound deadened on complete inside the car. Started template for side panels for the interior and applied a coat of fiberglass resin to the back side to keep out moisture.

Sprayed closed cell low expansion foam in all of the areas where we had gaps to keep out moisture. Sprayed complete interior with “Second Skin” sound deadened which will preserve and prevent any rust.

We completed all of the front end body parts and getting everything ready for final fit up front.