Hercules

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zz, Oregon Cams in Washington state. Just a little south of you. They are very busy because of aftermarket shortages caused by Covid and because of aftermarket cam/lifter failures.

Also I've seen oil starvation failures of two almost new engines. The oil pick up screens were plugged. Looked like too much additive/break in moly. Both engines sat for several months after break in Appeared some additive fell out of suspension, laid in the bottom of the pan. When the engines were started the material was drawn into the oil pump pick up and plugged the screen.

I no longer use radical flat tappet cams and stiff springs in street driven engines.

zz, Oregon Cams in Washington state. Just a little south of you. They are very busy because of aftermarket shortages caused by Covid and because of aftermarket cam/lifter failures.

Also I've seen oil starvation failures of two almost new engines. The oil pick up screens were plugged. Looked like too much additive/break in moly. Both engines sat for several months after break in Appeared some additive fell out of suspension, laid in the bottom of the pan. When the engines were started the material was drawn into the oil pump pick up and plugged the screen.

I no longer use radical flat tappet cams and stiff springs in street driven engines.
Just found their site, they specifically mention performance parts for 390/428 engines. https://www.oregoncamshaft.com/428-FE.html

Yep, I may even put in the stock springs which are likely lighter still..
Thanks Bob

I guess I'm a sucker for punishment...
After this experience, I'm going to use a roller cam in the 496 BBC for the Packard Gasser, need to flog off the flat tappet Big Mutha Thumper cam I already bought for it...
Just found their site, they specifically mention performance parts for 390/428 engines. https://www.oregoncamshaft.com/428-FE.html
Thanks Colin

Tired of engine woes today, received the Johnny Joints to replace the heim joints on the trailing arms and rear track bar. Lotsa fun creeping around underneath installing them :cautious: The heims are positive but noisy and harsh. The Johnny Joints are poly bushed, greaseable and rebuildable - pricey but should make for a better ride...

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 0
Still waiting for engine parts, decided to redo the back wall upholstery, the car scene was cool but hidden behind the seats and color didn't match the rest of the interior. Also redid the carpet to replace the previous which was just thrown in to get rolling, short loop style, hand stitched the edge binding to give it a more uptown look...

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back