English Wheel My way

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksmith54

I started an English Wheel project a few weeks ago to show my room mate how to do some dishing on a stump and as at the time I did not have an English wheel I made one from some stuff I bought at a surplus store and the local steel yard from there rem's pile. the frame is 3 x 3 x.250 and the legs are out of my scrap pile 2 1/2 pipe the slider parts are trailor hitch stuff I had laying around the wheel mount on a short piece of 2x2 .250 the top one has a plate on it so I could weld a nut on it to hold it in place from the top. The screw is a piece of 1 1/2 - 8 all thread I just happen to have laying around for about fifteen years (about 12 ft of it) and a $6.00 nut. Frame stuff cost about $18.00 the bearings (3) were about $20.00 and the legs cost almost $20.00 (the 90's on the front legs)

My next one is going to be out of 4 x 6 x .375 and will have about 32 inches to the back of the throat. The frame alone weights 187 by it self.

But that one I don't have the pic's downloaded yet.:cool:

Attachments

• 0128011503.jpg
    0128011503.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 0127012104.jpg
    0127012104.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 0128011614.jpg
    0128011614.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Aluminium Tank finished 3.jpg
    Aluminium Tank finished 3.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 191
I be here
just finishing up another BR with adjustable shaft and quick release on the top shaft. Just love building tools.
I be out in left field north Fla. near mobile. AL.
have fun
Tom

I used some ball bearings from a surplus yard as they sell ball bearing most of the time for about a dollar an inch I bought all the bearings I needed for the project for about $20.00 the spherical one is from a self aligning bearing and if you look at it from the front and carried the radius all the way around it would be a complete sphere.

The legs out front do not impede anything have done on this E-wheel as I never planed to do anything larger than a motorcycle fender on it. For larger projects I have in the works already a second one with a 32 inch throat made out of 4 x 6 x 3/8ths box tubing. the legs come in handy as a place to put my leg to brace the machine as I wheel with it, I push down on the kick wheel as I push and brace against the frame as I pull. By doing that the machine sits still and I have no problems using it.:cool:

Latest posts

Back