Saved this old jewel from certain death

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

Found this old Snapon tool tray at the scrapyard $1.50 and couldn't bare to see it crushed (any further) so I had to rescue it, turned out OK. Lets see some pictures of your old tool boxes
snapon crushed.jpg
snapon crushed1.jpg
snapon reworked.jpg
snapon reworked1.jpg

If you like that I have something you will like more. I have in my tool box a small snap on box maybe 3x5 and an inche deep. It is a metal box with snap on embossed in the lid.......... Will post a picture of it for you when I get a chance.

So is that in your antique room? I see another in the back there that the Smithsonian will want one day........

How much longer do you give it until a kid does not know what a VCR is?

Very cool Charley! That would be awesome to put together a whole setup of "Ratty" tool boxes[dr[dr I'd even go as far as filling them with old tools........you know, the good stuff:D I watch auctions, yard sales and flea markets all the time for old wrenches etc. Have a pretty good collection of old "indestructible" Craftsman, SK Wayne, Crescent, Proto etc.

I dug a 2 shelf all metal utility cart out of the dumpster at work..they had messed the handle up..took me about 10 minutes and a chunk of pipe to put it back into service..

nice score on that tray!

A few years ago I went dumpster diving behind the local Harbor Freight. You should see what they throw away! I had a car load when I was done, took it to the shop and spread it out. They had some stuff where one piece was missing but they had 3 or 4 like that, so I took parts from several and made some complete sets.

There were even those rolling mechanics seats where the wheels had just lost a screw, so after a little work they were as good as new. I'm not sure they still just toss it away without crushing it, but you guys might want to periodically cruise behind your local HF late at night to see what you can find.

Don

Dumpster diving HF! That's a new low. I thought pulling stuff off the scrapper guys truck was bad. I'm gonna go check their dumpster tomorrow! (I'd go tonight, but I've been drinking :cool:)

Yeah, I used to work in retail and our Managers would keep accumulating returns and ones under a certain value were just put in the dumpster and written off. They were supposed to smash it or take a can of spray paint and disfigure it first, but they got lazy sometimes and just dumped it. I suspect that was what I found that time at HF, each item had a paper return form stuck on it saying what was the reason for the return, and most of the stuff was really not beyond repair. Some of the electrical stuff like drills were no good, but there were allen wrench sets (the long ones with T handles), rolling mechanics seats, calipers, wrench sets, etc.

When I got to the shop some of the stuff was scrap so I dumped it, but I still have some of it and use it. Wish I had a SnapOn store near me that dumped stuff in their dumpster! :D

Don

Warranty items were treasures..

while working at the dealership the warranty items were scrapped after the normal admin paperwork periods or after the rep reviewed the warranty RO's..... had all sorts of good stuff.... a lot was repairable but cost more to fix than to replace so GM would scrap it.... got heads, blocks, cranks, rear gears.... tons of stuff.... all was supposed to be scrapped......

shop

acquired a hemi short block when working at the dealer. had a small piece of metal between the head and block. took a while but i talked the factory rep out of it. a little machine work and was good to go.

Nice score on the tool boxes Charley. I wonder if I could use my HF bolt cutters to try to open the HF dumpster, got a feeling "carma" might make me throw em in.

Latest posts

Back