Nuts & Bolts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap and nuts and bolts just don't go together. We keep a good selection of nuts and bolts in our shop. We got a 32 bin cabinet from Fastenal. The empty bin was about $120.00. Then they sell you what ever you need to fill it up. About another $500. Lowe's is also a good place for the lower grade nuts and bolts.

Nut and bolt assortment

I buy mine at the local farm supply they also sell by the pound. I find if I sneak a bag of nuts and bolts in when getting the wife something for her horses, she tends not to notice when the credit card statement comes in!

Farm & Fleet store by the pound for most stuff............just don't skimp when it comes to high grade. I also watch auctions such as estates and business auctions. Also being in the construction trade I NEVER throw away a left over nut or bolt, they add up over the years.

You do have a lot of bins to fill up now - don't you Charley?

Anything I throw out gets stripped before it goes. Down to the littlest screw. Even then, grade bolts tend to get used up fast.

If you go to a true fastener supply store they are a lot cheaper than buying them from a hardware store or someplace like Lowes or Home Depot. The retail stores build in a big markup to compensate for the ones people steal, so we pay a lot more to cover that. For example, a bolt you might pay $1.00 for at Ace Hardware would be something like 20 cents at a fastener supply place.

When it comes to stuff like stainless steel fasteners, places like Totally Stainless are good sources. Still not cheap, but lots less than buying them one at a time locally.

Don

I buy mine at a feed store. Grade 5 or grade 8 by the pound, it is pretty cheap and they also have upholstery screws and clips and spacers and bushings.

Me Too, Tractor Supply. By the pound seems much cheeper!! Seems that way, Maybe not!!

I buy some every time I go there whether I need them or not, to try and keep my supply built up!! Doesn't always work, there are times when I don't get there often!

If I need say some 5/16" flat washers i will buy a 2 lb box. I have a bunch of bins that I label by size and then by the length of the bolt. I also have a couple of huge containers of all the nuts, bolt, festeners that come off of stuff that I strip down. I try and seperate metric from sae in those buckets.

I get mine from a place called Family Farm and Home...

Like a tractor supply co.... it's local....by the pound and I only buy the Grade 5 and 8's.... 2.99 and 3.99 a lb..... Ace charges by the nut and bolt and is a small fortune....

Farm store definitely..mine sometimes has them on sale for .99 to $1.29 a pound..I usually snag 20 lbs when I catch'em on sale.. and cheap walmart 12 drawer plastic organizer works for me..not the best setup, but sure beats not having any..they sell grade 8's for about $3 a pound also..

tim

Latest posts

Back