Door stop straps... anyone?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Ok... I'm workin' my way on down to the real nitty gritty! My doors open too wide without any straps so I'm wondering how some of you deal with this. Recently saw an article on a retracting version but it looked like a real pain so the ol Tripper ain't goin there! Also taking recommendations on how to hold the doors open slightly at car shows. Anyone?!

BoB

dont know what kind of thought you had in your mind - but the first thing i thought of was sliding bolt action of a rifle. lol:D ... but i guess you could just u se a leather strap or old military backpack strap.

I have used leather strap for stopping a door.

And a steel rod, that hooks into the latch, and to the latch on the door, will hold the door open.

None of my cars have ever had doors :)o) but what my Son Dan did was he bought Model A door straps and shortened them to get the right amount of opening without going too far. You can also buy a wide leather belt and cut pieces out of it to make your own.

Don

Old leather belts & some rivets work great. Make sure it's actual grain leather and not the bonded junk. Also allow from some stretch over time.

the doors

Bob,

Saw the same article, thought the same thing. There's lots easier ways to do that. Holding the door open - Just take a piece of tube and weld ends onto it that will hook over the striker pin on one end and act like a striker pin and hook into the door latch on the other.

As for the limiting strap, I agree with the leather belt idea. Salvation Army belt, rivets and a plate to rivet them to.

Bruce

Use a large 6" gate hook and eye.
put the hook on the inside of the door post right by you leg and the eye on the inside of the door at a position that holds the door at the width you want it open.
The hook will just dangle when not in use

Attachments

• 6 inch hook and eye.jpg
    6 inch hook and eye.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 9
My 39 had the metal straps. The door still has the little hinge pin for them.
My buddy used NYLON strapping like on a ratchet tie down.
SO my wife sewed a loop at one end so I could use the pin.
And the other end I made a quarter in long piece of metal drill two holes put it over the nylon and screwed it to the front.

Lungs

I've seen them on semi trucks like the vans and also made out of belt webbing

Latest posts

Back