Steering wheel paint?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydrocarbon Rocket

So I sanded down the Steering wheel that I'm going to use. It appears to be a 68 bel-air wheel thats going in my 55 bel-air. I was gonna paint it black but, I'm pleased with the black it is after sanding off all the old green. If I don't paint it, is it likley that it will get all chalky and turn my hands black every time I touch it? Will it also cause it to crack faster?

I you decide to paint it I would suggest Awl Grip. It's a marine paint that is hard and stands up to use. I've done a few with it.

Klink,
Where did you get the Awl grip paint?

I buy it from West Marine, but any large marine supply house will be able to get it. Awl Grip can be sprayed, brushed or rolled. Because rolling/brushing is a common way to paint a large boat, there are solvents designed just for brushing which will help the paint flow and level out.

Unless the wheel is so bad that the surface is going away on you, it can be scuffed, epoxy primed, and painted just like you would a car. We color matched the steering wheel in my Son's rpu to match the firewall and upholstery and did it that way. It is holding up fine.

Don

dansinteriordone.jpg

what about wiping it periodically with a armor-all type product that will keep it from chalking/powdering and keep the color. Maybe a dumb idea but just my .02.

One time when I detailed my 27 for a show I used Armor All on the steering wheel and brake and clutch pedals. They were really slippery and I had to use wax and grease remover to get it off so I could drive the car without my feet slipping off the pedals and the wheel sliding through my hands.

Don

I painted a faded Model A steering wheel with satin black Krylon "Fusion" rattle can paint. Designed for plastic. Worked great, no priming.

Latest posts

Back