Engine lift

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My lift has 4 holes in the boom with a pin that goes through both sections, the shorter the boom, the more weight it can safely lift. I think there is about 1' inside the outer section when it is in the longest hole.

You need one of the jacks designed for a lift, about 2.5' to 3' long. 24" of boom travel isn't much if the boom is extended, closed it can be a lot. I have had mine up as high as it would go more than once while pulling a engine and tranny out of something, and even then I could have used a few more inches because the tranny wanted to drag going over the core support.

OK. That's kinda' what I thought, but it's good to have a confirmation. Your set up for extending the boom sounds like a much better set up than this one. This deal just has a bolt "set screw" that you tighten down against the inside boom section. Maybe I'll see if I can drill through this straight enough to make this work like yours. Are the 4 holes probably in the inner section, then the outer boom just has the one location? I was trying to think of a way to connect a cable or something on the inside back to the boom pivot point, so that the boom could not be extended beyond some certain point. But I think I like the way yours is made better.

I'll try and remember to get you a pic tomorrow Neto. The four holes are in the outer boom section, with only one in the inner. Each hole is marked with the safe weight it is supposed to hold up.

hmm that's looks like a very handy tool.....

wonder if one could be made from a scissor jack from standard car....

Thanks much, Bamamav. It looks like the lower 'perch' for the jack is clear down on the base. Mine is a ways up, maybe half way. I didn't think to measure that. With the markings, I can see why they put the multiple holes in the outside, rather than in the inside piece.

Yeah, the lower jack perch is about 6"-8" above the cross piece. Mine has a double action pump, it pumps on both the up and down strokes. The hose clamp and piece of rubber cover the fill hole, I dropped the rubber plug when I was putting some oil in and never did find it.

And it makes a good place to hang stuff to paint, too.:D You can see the overspray left...

Latest posts

Back