Any Ideas on Using License Plates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool64

Over the last several months I have been collecting 1964 license plates to use to line the floor and ceiling in the cab of my 1964 F100. I have all but 9 states remaining to find, but until I can locate those states, I was looking to get started on this project. I am just looking for some ideas on how to assemble the plates, how to install the plates, and pictures of anyone's ride that they have done this too.

What states do you need I may have some of them.

Here is a pic of my 39 with the plates in the interior.

Lungs

Attachments

• IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 52
Here's a pic I swiped off the internet.......

Rat_Rod_interior_by_zentraveler.jpg

.....the license plate thing is probably overdone but I still like it and plan to use in the cab of my Willys, but with a little twist on the color. If you like'm go for it! I like the lining the bed idea. :cool:

@Rainbow_Lungs

I'm still on the look out for the following 1964 license plates:

Alaska
Connecticut
Maine
Missouri
Nevada
North Dakota
Utah
Washington
Wisconsin

I uesd mine to completely cover the interior top of my sedan. I used a sheet of plywood[3/16] as my interior panel and I screwed them together and staggered them like laying blocks. Sorry no pic in the album yet. I also used some to make the rocker panels that are covered by the door when closed and it holds down my astroturf carpet.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

@stroker mcgurk and @bamamav - I've thought about hanging them up in the garage and lining the bed as well, but I've always been a fan of how they look inside the cab. I've been able to get some pretty good deals on most of the plates; so, I'm not out too much on them.

@hankthebigdog - I'd love to see a pic of the inside of your rat. The astroturf concept sounds genius. I'd love to see how that looks.

I've seen several different ways to put the plates in, what is the best way or the best look. Should I rivet them in or possibly put down a false floor and tack to the ply wood?

For those who say on the shop wall, this is how I fixed the cracks between the boards....

231D554C-BEFF-4FB9-96DF-9DE2DCFC6F76-2866-0000045EF079867F_zps24e7e4a4.jpg

Latest posts

Back