Decisions...decisions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

So, I have my Fairlane up for sale on a couple of places. Just trying to get back into a truck. Well, I had a guy text me locally who is wanting to do a steaight up trade , his 48 Ford F1 Deluxe with a 460 modified engine,and C6 out of a 69 Bird. Body has little surface rust , but no perforated anywhere. Body is very straight, with chrome bumper and other options that came in the Deluxe model. He told me that he hasn't started the motor in about a year, and that the fuel tank needs to be replaced. It is behind the seat , so I would most likely replace that anyway, and move it to the bed. The wood in the bed needs to be replaced. My car is ready for the road, and I drive it daily. He said he would get the motor started this weekend , so I can come look at it. I guess my biggest concern would be that tranny sitting for a while , and why it has been sitting for a year. The truck has just the right amount of patina that I most likely would not do anything to it, other than make some modifications. I plan on taking my compression gauge when I go look at it. It is setting on the original frame with stock rear/front end. ford f1.jpg

I wouldn't be concerned with the length of time the tranny was sitting.
I would look real close to how the engine and tranny were installed and the quality of the work.
Has the rear end been upgraded?
What do the tires look like and find the code to see what year they are. Tires have a manufacturer date stamped in the sidewall and will give up the ghost if they are too old.
Is the cash difference enough for you?
How many miles did he put on the truck before mothballing and why?
Is the kingpins worn out?
What type of brakes are on it?
The F1 is cool but, ultimately it is your decision.

Make a fair deal for yourself money wise. Plan on working on a truck some, because you'll never be really "done"...

I'm always very wary of cars that have been "sitting", because there is usually a reason. Regardless, trading a daily for a project is only a wise move if the value is there. This is just an F-1, not a high dollar truck by any means. If it's what you really want, make sure it is actually worth it and not just an idea of what you want. Like Old Iron said, I would be taking a VERY close work at the work that has been done to this point. Lot of vehicles out there look neat on top but are a total sh*tshow underneath. Be careful!

We've all seen your work. You're talented enough to fix whatever...just decide for sure if that's what you want to do. Can you not keep the Fairlane and build another RPU besides?

Yeah, I understand where all you guys are coming from. The first thing I planned to look at is the drive train , and if they used proper cross braces, and engine mounts are solid. The stock frame is what it is. I would most likely go in and beef it up and brace it real good for the torque monster that's in it. And, while I am in there , will most lekely drop it a few inches or so. The tires just need to get the truck on a trailer and to my shop. BUT, I am concerned as to why a truck like that has sat for any length of time. Once I get to the guys house I will have a lot better feel for why and the other issues I am concerned about. It is originally from California, and he says is rust free ,except for surface. But, you can bet I will be under that truck more than walking around it. My plan really is to sand the surface rust , leave the patina, shoot some clear flat on it, put steelies on it, modern brake system, and drive the hell out of it. If there is any hell in that truck , there won't be when I'm done with it. HAHAHA . Oh, and I may chop about 4" off that top to give it some character.

We've all seen your work. You're talented enough to fix whatever...just decide for sure if that's what you want to do. Can you not keep the Fairlane and build another RPU besides?

I did not bond with the Fairlane like I thought I would. It's nice, it goes fast, but never did bond with it, if you know what I mean.

I did not bond with the Fairlane like I thought I would. It's nice, it goes fast, but never did bond with it, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, know what you mean...I've done that several times. If you were still in Texas I've got a good start for a '27 RPU that I'll probably never get to build because of my health. The only real money I've got in it was the title...$450.

Nice looking F-1, However, i think your Torino is worth considerably more $s. I'd ask him to throw in some cash.

351M and 400M were the only "modified" engines from Ford, they were based on the Cleveland design with a taller deck for a longer stroke truck engine. 429 and 460 are Lima engine family, totally different animal. 460 is a great, torky [torquey?] engines with good hp in stock form. If they didn't change the rear to a 9", you can look forward to doing it, the stock Dana 44 in that truck won't last long, especially if you like to hammer on it a bit. The F1 brakes are pretty good, but I'd update to a dual chamber master cylinder for safety's sake.

Seems like anything pre 48 is bringing pretty good prices right now. Your Torino is a seldom seen model, but I can't say how desirable it might be. Seldom seen or rare doesn't always equal big money.

FWIW the 400 is just 400, not 400M. The 351 came later and was a modified version of the 400 so it got to be designated M

My bet is the truck isn't complete enough to drive, just a pretty straight old pickup that got an engine and tranny dropped in and not much else.

FWIW the 400 is just 400, not 400M. The 351 came later and was a modified version of the 400 so it got to be designated M

My bet is the truck isn't complete enough to drive, just a pretty straight old pickup that got an engine and tranny dropped in and not much else.

Nope, the truck has a 460 "385" series big block in it with a mated C6 tranny. It was a running driving truck. However, I won't really know what he has done until I look at it. And, yes the 460 is very torquey, because that is what I installed into the Fairlane. My plan is to change the rear end to Ford 9", and upgrade brake system.

Well, I got a text from the guy who has the 48 F1 last night. He put gas in a can and ran a tube to the fuel pump on the car. It fired right up. Going to look at it tomorrow, to drive it and check it out. I have already come up with some ideas on what I would do to it, if it works out. Stay tuned,

So, I went and looked at the F1 yesterday evening. First thing I did was look at the way the motor and tranny were mounted. They used stock motor mounts for the engine, and the tranny cross member was a Speedway cross member that he bought . What I did notice is that the truck has no rust at all. Every bolt on the under side of this truck looks like you could use a wrench and spin it right off. It was kind of crazy looking at it. The frame and suspension still had factory paint , and the frame looked excellent. I checked out the underside of the body, and it has zero rust and zero filler anywhere on it. I then went to the engine bay. It is a 460 out of a 69 Continental. It has the D9VE heads, which were high compression heads . He showed me paper work that showed all the parts that were used to rebuild the engine 7 years ago. He said that he just ran out of money to finish the truck. First thing I found , is the engine needs a new oil pan. He still has the front sump oil pan on it, and it rides about 2" from the top of the front axle. Defintely needs rear sump pump and pan. Starts , runs, drives, with brakes needing work. The brakes need to be updated anyway . Guys, this is probably the most solid straight 48 I have ever seen. Except for the engine tranny swap, it looks to be unmolested. The interior was like stepping into a 5 year old truck. I took a friend of mine with me, knowing he would nit pick it to death(that's why I took him). He was impressed at the condition of the body , bed and suspension.

This guy also has a 66 Mustang Fastback in his garage that looks the same way. He has drug these vehicles around for 20 years. Truck was purchased in California, and still has CA plates on it. He just moved here from Colorado, and said he is more of a muscle car guy than a truck guy. I believe this may be the truck.

Latest posts

Back