steering boxes that DONT need reversing?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
i have spent countless hours scouring the web for a list of what boxes do NOT need to be reversed to use as a cowl steering system.
i want one for my 2300 lb 27 chevy p/u
has anyone seen or happen to know which are candidates for this application?
thanks fellas!

Mid 70's BMW model 2002 manual box. A lot of those were used for cowl steering.

danscowlsteering3.jpg

Don

1945 ford 1/2 tons are good to go as well as manual econolines and comet boxes. ive used all three of those without any reversing.

george

1961 D100 box

Just put a 1953 international cab on a 1961 dodge panel wagon frame. Rebuilt the saginaw manual box on it pretty cheaply. New bearings and seals about 80 bucks. Would have been slightly more with the pitman shaft bushing.

It has the pinman shaft going through a hole in the frame for traditional steering. Would most likely work similar to an early ford f100 truck box. Still a far way from driving it, but my friend has a 1966 D200 with what appears to be the same box and he drove it for years and said the steering wasn't too bad for not being power assist...

Attachments

• 100_0595.JPG
    100_0595.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 95
If you pull the steering arm off the box, and put back on 180 degrees from the original position, that would reverse the operation of the steering box without changing anything else.

If you pull the steering arm off the box, and put back on 180 degrees from the original position, that would reverse the operation of the steering box without changing anything else.

That would be kinda funny looking

That would be kinda funny looking

Maybe. I've seen the steering arm pointing up in some cases, as well as other cases where it points down. Depends if you can mount the box on the cowl with the arm positioned the way it needs to be so it steers left when turned left and right for right. Just a suggestion and possible way around a problem. Thinking outside the box as they say.:)

Cowl steering

I think a Ford courier steering box from the 70/80s will work as a cowl steering box that does NOT need to be reversed

It is not actually hard to reverse a steering box, if you get the right one.

I did a Corvair box a couple of years ago, needed nothing more than a 5/8" drill and a core plug to block the hole, no fancy machining etc. I fitted an oil seal too, but filled it with grease rather than oil, so not really required.

Latest posts

Back