Any tips for getting wheel bearing races out?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyD

I need some suggestions for getting the outter wheel bearing races out of the 47 Ford hubs that I have. The inner race seats have notches so you can get a drift on the races and walk them out but the outer seats don't have notches. There's less than a 1/16 of of the edge of the race showing on both hubs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 19
Pack with dry ice and maybe it will tap out easy with a sharp punch.just a suggestion...good luck. let us know how you get it out to ease our pain when we are up against one..

Weld a small bead around the inside of race. That will shrink in in the bore and it will fall out when it cools. Don't cool it with water.

I just weld a couple of beads so the punch will have something to grab.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 36
I'd try a thin punch first before welding

Might come out easier than you think...otherwise the weld bead should give you something to strike and also shrink the race a bit...looks to me though you have enough lip to get onto to drive it out....jmho

Thanks for the tips guys! I tried the full weld bead first and they didn't fall out and where still in the good enough that I couldn't get them out with the lip that was showing so I welded some blobs to catch. That worked like a charm!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 8
If they don't come out after welding a bead around the inside you can weld a washer into the center, then you have something to hit. I have welded a shaft to the washer to use as a handle. Then you have a driver that is just the right size for installing the new race. Works great for races that are in a deep recess.

Latest posts

Back