Studebaker vs Stub

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacrat1

I am planning to build a 51 Studebaker Commander. I see a lot of people using fatman stub, for their build. What are the advantages? I see 1: Remove everything, from fire wall to bumper. Weld in new suspension, weld in motor mounts. 2: Remove everything from fire wall to bumper. Cut off frame. Weld in Stub. Weld in suspension, motor mounts, radiator mounts, and bumper brackets. I plan to put in a small block. It will be a while before I start this project. Is there an upside to whacking off the frame?

body skin swap

The Service manager at a nearby GM dealershiphad an old stude at his place. One of the newer FWD GM small sedans got both sides scraped up on slick roads a couple years aago. Low milage, no major damage, just both bumpers and skin,, Totaled. The wheel track width and wheel base bere almost identical to his stude so he cut off the wrinkled skin, left the floor, firewall instrument panel and swapped on the sude body.

stub

i like to use a more modern stub. you can go right to the parts store and they have what you need in stock if it breaks. you dont have to hunt fords parts or order them...just my dimes worth

i like to use a more modern stub. you can go right to the parts store and they have what you need in stock if it breaks. you dont have to hunt fords parts or order them...just my dimes worth

Not getting on your case, but what happens in 30 years? A guy I know welded in a 77 Volare front stub on a 46 Plymouth back in the early 80's. Now he's got an old, but un-original front end on a car he hasn't even finished yet. For comparison sake, what is the continued availability of parts for these custom suspensions, or custom frame stubs? (Over time, like 25 years or so. Can you still get the parts for the custom suspensions or frames being marketed back in the 80's? Are they still selling the same designs, or have they changed significantly?)

If you put an IFS in that becomes obsolete, take it out in 25 years and put in the latest trick suspension. Many hot rods had Corvair front suspensions installed and I'd bet mot of them have been replaced by now.
My Anglia has had an Opel IFS, a self-narrowed (but not narrow enough) Pinto suspension and for the last 18 years, a Fat Man MII in place. Who knows what's next?

A lot of people don't keep their hot rods long enough for the suspension to become obsolete.
I'd put in the best I felt I could afford at the time and if I wanted I would upgrade as funds become available.

To answer the OP qusetion, Chopping off/modifying the frame mostly depends upon how well your chosen new suspension will fit the original frame or if you want to use a complete stub off of a later vehicle or new a sub frame (fat man or ?). Probably hard to find a MII crossmember made specifically to fit your stude frame.

Also depends on how much money you want to spend.

Check for late model vehicles with a similar track width. S10 or dodge dakota front frame section might be a cheap alternative. Look for other build threads of 50's cars, many makes and models are similar in width, see whats working for other guys.

Last edited:
I appreciate the input. I finally wrapped my head around what is meant by using a late model stub. You mean buy a parts car, and cut off the front of the frame. I have r&r mentality.

By the way, I don't think I will have to worry about my suspension being obsolete in 25 years. Maybe the next guy's problem !

Latest posts

Back