Looking for some "how to" help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

27TRatRod

Just joined yesterday and already impressed with all the great help and info here. Thanks! I'm building a 27 Model T 2 dr and using a Model A frame. I have a 46 Ford front axle and a Ford 9" for the rear. I want to keep the model a frame horns, but am struggling on how to mount the spring to the axle. The picture shows it mocked up when I moved the car, but is there spring perch mounts I can buy that bolt/weld to the axle so I can use the model a spring, or is there another spring set up to use? Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 104
Not sure I understand your question about mounting the spring to the axle and can't open the attachment but does the picture below answer it?

Front%20Axle2_zpsd05qrpqb.jpg

I didn't explain that the best. I want to use the model a cross member but was told a 46 spring was too wide to use. The picture shows my 46 axle sitting under the model a spring and it's not wide enough to get the set up in your picture. Thanks for responding.

spring mount.

The 46 has the spring in front, Model A has spring above the axle. spring mounting ? ? axle placement, Stock with fenders or Rat rod suicide with axle pushed out depends on the look you want.

Here's the full size picture.

Common sense says... get a wider spring and use the existing perches, or "spring above" perches like Oldphart posted. (Butchering your axle because you don't have the right spring makes NO sense to me!)

attachment.php

A bit of modification to the Model A cross member should accommodate the wider (front-to-back) spring. The front end will be higher than a stock A-bone, but that is not a bad thing. :D

Any chance you have any pictures of the modifications needed to the cross member? Thanks if you do!
You have to remove the cross member from the frame, split it, add in the amount needed to accommodate the wider spring and reinstall the cross member into the frame [;)[;)[;)
Knock out the rivets in this area, on both sides, to remove the cross member.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cross member.jpg
    Cross member.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 65
What you have is two different spring mounting points. A's have a mount like in oldphart's pic, the spring mounts on top of the axle and the mount at the axle also holds the bat wing that the wish bone or radius rods mount to. On the 46 axle, the spring mounts on the ends of the wishbone in front of the axle. To use what you have now, you would have to move the crossmember forward, or if you want to leave it where it is, you will need to get a set of spring perches like in oldphart's pic and a set of bat wings and cut your wishbone or get a set of hair pins or four bars to take it's place.

They sell dropped crossmembers to lower the car, and I have seen the stock ones flipped to do the same thing.

Go to www.Speedwaymotors.com and look at their front end section, they have all the parts you need to work with what you have.

Latest posts

Back