5/8" DD steering joints?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Herald

Does anybody make DD steering joints in 5/8"?

I Googled, but found nothing. [S

I want to use matching 5/8" solid steering column, to my Corvair box, but need the steering column to slide though a bushing, so short of getting a spline machined on it I can only see a DD as the way to go.

If you have splines on your Corvair box, why not get a u-joint the goes from it to 3/4" DD? If you want to stay with 5/8" look at Chevy Geo steering columns. They have u-joints and DD shaft that is smaller than 3/4. It is probably a metric size but is close to 5/8".

I cut the shaft short on the 'box, so no splines left, but I might get the local machine shop to re-spline it and use a standard type UJ.

I'm not 100% sure a double-d would work too well on so small a diameter. Maybe that is why nobody makes one?

3/4 is the standard of the industry. We are doing the Flaming River Corvair box in my Kids 30 rpu as we speak, but his has the splines on the input shaft. We are using a Flaming River U joint that has the splines on one end and the DD shaft hole on the other end. I think Speedway carries U joints that can slip over your cut off shaft and bolt on with a through bolt.........as I recall that is what I did on my 23.

Don

Latest posts

Back