spring over or spring behind ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fateinc2005

I ordered a new front end from speedway motors it is a spring over ,now i just read that if u go spring behind u can get the front end lower . anyone have any ideas on the two different setups?

Don't have a clue what you ordered. But you're correct a spring behind will make your front end 3-4" lower.

This is a spring behind setup.

008-14.jpg

This is a spring over.

043.jpg

spring question

I am using a spring behind to get the front end lower as said before, the reason I am using this set up is, I wanted a lower front end without spending any money on a droped front axle, using the spring behind setup lowered my front end about 4"

I measured my 27 that has a spring over setup with a 4 inch dropped axle and 25 inch tires. From the ground to the top of the spring (under load) it is 13 inches high. Just thought I would toss this number out there in case anyone was wanting to use a spring over deal.

Speedway is real good about taking stuff back. You should have no problem returning the one you have and exchanging it.

Don

Last I looked speedway sales the spring behind setup too. You can always make a higher spring perch I'm sure a ton of guys on here have done that.

There are a couple of ways to go with an I beam axle if you want the spring behind. I just bought a pair of these wishbones from Speedway for my rpu project and they have a threaded provision right behind the axle to screw in a perch and make the spring sit back there.

wishbones002.jpg

Or, you can order a set of batwings from someone like SoCal Speed shop to use hairpin radius rods.

Don

I called speedway they wont have the spring behind i beam setup until spring time my car needs a frontt end next week so ill stay with the spring over we'll just z the frame a little more, and make a taller perch i'll post pics when we get it installed

Latest posts

Back