what brakes?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willierat

Ok so I know nothing... Will the drum brakes on my 1970 ford truck work on my 30s axle? It has drums with none of the other parts like the backing plates on it now. Also looks like some kind of aluminum spacers. The bolt pattern is also 5 on 4 3/4 GM? If the 70' brakes will not work what would?

Not sure, I have a pic in my build section, 51willys. It was the only axle w/ a transverse spring that I could find at the junkyard ($100) so I got it. It was in a 50ish nomad looking thing. Not sure how they steered or stopped because none of those components were there.

No, they won't work.

If you know nothing, it would be best to do some research before you start buying stuff. It will save you heart & headache, not to mention wasted dollars...

Hey guys didn't buy the brakes just to buy them. I bought the truck for the engine, trans, and rearend. But if I can use anything else I would like to. Just trying to learn and build a cheap but safe cruiser. Figured the front end was worth $100 bucks even if I have to buy a new brake kit. I've seen where people use f100 brakes on the early axles, guess mine are too new.

ID the axle

Hey guys didn't buy the brakes just to buy them. I bought the truck for the engine, trans, and rearend. But if I can use anything else I would like to. Just trying to learn and build a cheap but safe cruiser. Figured the front end was worth $100 bucks even if I have to buy a new brake kit. I've seen where people use f100 brakes on the early axles, guess mine are too new.

If you can ID the axle, then I'm sure that there are guys on the site that can help you with what will fit..... Scarebird classic's has disc brake caliper mounts and kits for a lot of different apps if you want to go that route... but once the axle is ID'd then things will be easier...... slow and steady......:D

Brakes

Get some pictures posted up here, and someone will ID. it for you, then we will let you know what will fit, and plenty of options of how to do it and where to get your parts, nobody here is trying to be mean about any questions you have, we just need to see what you have and the best way to make it work, I have just enough knowlege to get me in trouble and I will share it free :D I am like everyone else here, we all have a pile of parts that don't work for the reason we bought them for, but they will work on the next project, most of us figured it out the hard way.

Here's some axle info, any ideas?:eek:

axle width 48"
axle thickness front-back 1 1/2"
axle ends where wishbones mount 2"
spring is 2" with the mounting ends being 1 3/4"
passenger side spindle has tie-rod and drag link hole for cross-steer
wishbones measure 39" from mount center to end not including rod-end

Haven't taken the hubs off so don't know the spindle measurements.:p

Attachments

• willys 001.jpg
    willys 001.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 21
  • willys 002.jpg
    willys 002.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 16
  • willys 003.jpg
    willys 003.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 20
  • willys 004.jpg
    willys 004.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 19
Its a '37-'41 Ford axle and spindles. Someone has trimmed the front spring mounts off the wishbone and installed earlier spring-over perches. They used a later model 2" spring and ground it to fit in the shackles. It will need totally gone through and rebuilt, but overall a pretty good find.

As far as your brakes question, Your spindles will accept Ford '40-'48 passenger car or '40-'47 light truck brakes directly. You can also purchase a kit to mount discs on them if you choose to go that route. With some slight modifications you can use F-1 or early F-100 brakes as well.

Thanks Blue, that's what I needed! Think I'll save my pennies and get one of the disc kits. It's gonna be awhile before she's drivable, I'm just ready to get the frame built and have a roller.

No problem man. Front axle setups can be a little pricey, but the end results make saving your pennies SO worth it. A nice front end can make an OK car great, or an otherwise cool car really suck. Not only in safety and driveability, but also in the looks department. Since you are a noob I don't disagree with your disc brake choice at all. They are new, safe, and easy to install & maintain. I would definitely reccommend a new spring & shackles, and take a good look at the perches if you can get them out without destroying them. Inspect the wishbones and put new tie rod ends or heim joints in them for mounting.

Then have the axle dropped! [ddev

Latest posts

Back