Front of frame?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kouki

Most of the rods I've seen with home built frames are using round tube for the front bar and spring perch area. I'm getting my front end all ready. I have finally figured out where I will need to cut the front of the frame and put in the last brace to fit with my split bone suicide front end. My question is how would it look if I just used the 2x4 that I built the rest of the frame from to finish my front brace and hang the spring perch from that? Will that look ok, I haven't seen any that way so I can't decide. Any pics or input would be great.

In my opinion

it might look a bit bulkie... but as you said, I haven't seen one done like that so I'd have to reserve judgement.... round tube is the norm but 2x4 laid flat is still only 2" so maybe it would look ok squared off.... I know, not much help.... tack it in and step back, you can always take it out...

Front frame

I have seen both, there are a few builds here that have the 2x4 front and home made spring perch, what style are you building spring over or behind, you can hide that front perch and tube with the right grill shell.

I will be running a spring behind set-up, I haven't decided on the exact grill location yet, if it will be all the way at the end of the frame or sitting back a little.

I thought about maybe setting the 2x4 in the front at like a 45* or so and cutting the ends of the main rails to match. Would that look odd or out of place?

might look cool laid back to where you had nice caster by just mounting your spring perch square to it and drilled fulla lightening holes.....

many use rectangle tubing, it is really a "use what ya want to" situation, i used a 2x3 on mine b/c it fit the stock frame really well...

the main thing is make sure it is strong enuf to hold up to the rigors of potholes etc --that piece holds up the whole front end ya know!

Latest posts

Back