Have you guys seen these?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holey rat! Batman...

You can talk science all you want.....Reality for me anyway is I had Rat rods with out holes in the frame and under torq noticed that the frames do flex...The last one I built with the holes and sleeved was way stronger and wasn't prone to flexing as much...I would not build one with holes that weren"t sleeved though...Personally I like the holes through the frame..I think it's the WOW factor...I don't care what the top looks like as well as you have a detailed chassis...

I think they both look great and should be plenty strong enough.

attachment.php

And you can chain it up when you park!

... I aint photoshopping 300 chain links so your gonna have to use your imagination

wait one more..how about some different sized pistons in those frame holes on power lock solenoids moving around when you drive? It's be like "aw man I saw this car so bad assed it had pistons stroking all out the frame and everywhere".

that reminds me of another story...
You guys should have been here the night we all were up over 24 hours doing an engine swap. It didn't start... my brother said "now what do we do?" I looked him in the eye and as seriously as i could I said "Pray" then I grabbed a pair of connecting rods with pistons by the crank end like rattles and did an Indian rain dance.

Almost as funny as the time I racked my noggin climbing out from under the truck. everyone was looking so I went cross eyed when I opened my eyes... Improvising I took the screwdriver in my hand, put it in my ear turning it back and forth as i crossed and uncrossed my eyes and asked them "Let me know when i get 'em straight"... they fell down laughing

Thank you guys for the suggestions. :) I dont think you realize how strong 3/16 is! Now If you are running a standard SBC with no frills, they are way strong enough W/O sleeves. But making them lighter is not the whole purpose. Dimpling is just a rediculous thought for this application. But if you want em dimpled.... buy a set and dimple em...[P I am trying to offer something that an average person with an average budget can do.

Westtexasspeed

And you can chain it up when you park!

... I aint photoshopping 300 chain links so your gonna have to use your imagination

wait one more..how about some different sized pistons in those frame holes on power lock solenoids moving around when you drive? It's be like "aw man I saw this car so bad assed it had pistons stroking all out the frame and everywhere".

[cl

[cl thats funny

You can talk science all you want.....Reality for me anyway is I had Rat rods with out holes in the frame and under torq noticed that the frames do flex...The last one I built with the holes and sleeved was way stronger and wasn't prone to flexing as much...I would not build one with holes that weren"t sleeved though...Personally I like the holes through the frame..I think it's the WOW factor...I don't care what the top looks like as well as you have a detailed chassis...

Hi Fink, I think you may find this interesting, we got into this discussion a while back on the HAMB and the results might surprise you on page 4. Read the whole thread, it will answer all questions about frame stress. Funny how you will trust two small bolts to hold up your front end on the end of a tiny spring.... but worry about a 3.5 foot of solid steel.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135805&highlight=lightning+holes+in+frame

CHECK THIS OUT
Same program I use to design

Westtexasspeed

Last edited:
Hey, Torchmann kept it under 1000 words! :D

I completely agree with him and the other comments made. Notice how they build their own car with structural tubing, but offer their front end "kit" in pieces?

Some flat iron with holes in it? No thanks, pass the peanuts. :D

Structural tubing??? I honestly have no idea what your talking about? Flat iron?..[cl[S Its Steel! Yes PLEASE pass the peanuts.....Thats funny to.

Hi Fink, I think you may find this interesting, we got into this discussion a while back on the HAMB and the results might surprise you on page 4. Read the whole thread, it will answer all questions about frame stress. Funny how you will trust two small bolts to hold up your front end on the end of a tiny spring.... but worry about a 3.5 foot of solid steel.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135805&highlight=lightning+holes+in+frame

CHECK THIS OUT
Same program I use to design

Westtexasspeed

Ya that scares me a bit to....I quess that's why they call it suicide frontend:eek:....I do know that I have straightend alot more frames than I have changed suspension bolts in the autobody trade ......as far as the pipes through the frame I think it's a cleaner look plus also keeps all the crap and water out of it as well

Structural tubing??? I honestly have no idea what your talking about? Flat iron?..[cl[S Its Steel! Yes PLEASE pass the peanuts.....Thats funny to.

Strictly a matter of terminology.

Where I come from, rectangular and square hollow structural materials are known as HSS (Hollow Structural Section). Structural tubing is a layman's term.

Flat iron is also a layman's term. A holdover from the 1800's, I suppose.

RPM asked an honest question, and I gave my honest opinion. The fact that you and I disagree is unfortunate, but you can't please everyone.

Ya that scares me a bit to....I quess that's why they call it suicide frontend:eek:....I do know that I have straightend alot more frames than I have changed suspension bolts in the autobody trade ......as far as the pipes through the frame I think it's a cleaner look plus also keeps all the crap and water out of it as well

I agree.

Strictly a matter of terminology.

Where I come from, rectangular and square hollow structural materials are known as HSS (Hollow Structural Section). Structural tubing is a layman's term.

Flat iron is also a layman's term. A holdover from the 1800's, I suppose.

RPM asked an honest question, and I gave my honest opinion. The fact that you and I disagree is unfortunate, but you can't please everyone.

I think you missed the point... I didn't build anything out of rec tubing. And its ok not to like something, but you do not have to slam it as cheep or a scam? You know the price of steel, and the time involved, Its a very good deal.

I think you missed the point... I didn't build anything out of rec tubing. And its ok not to like something, but you do not have to slam it as cheep or a scam? You know the price of steel, and the time involved, Its a very good deal.

I understand the costs involved when you offer a product to the public. Entirely different from my cost to build my own. Like many of the members here, I'm an experienced welder and fabricator. For that reason, I find it difficult to see the value in a kit, regardless of the source or price. I build whatever I can for myself, at little more than the cost of materials.

It looked like tubing in your original ad. I see you replaced those images and rewrote the ad. It looks much, much better and eliminates the questions. I don't play basketball, but I believe the term is "double foul". The pictures were misleading, and I made rude comments. You removed the pictures, and I admit my mistake.

I appreciate your efforts to develop a quality product and offer it at an attractive price. If I were in the market for such a thing, I would certainly consider yours.

You have proven your integrity through this discussion, and I hope you are successful in your ventures.

Can I have my peanuts back, now?

O yea, no hard feelings at all. I understand. They are not for function, they are for looks....

I think they are pretty damn cool, though I'd make the holes just a touch smaller if I did it, just a personal opinion thing.

Holes look cool.

As for strength, there is a reason engineers drill a round hole in a sheet of steel or a casting to stop a crack spreading: because round hole resists cracking better than any other shape. Yes, a dimple may make it a bit stronger, but a smooth round hole is about as good as it gets shorts of not having any hole in there.

My car:

2c72cc63.jpg

I may put some holes down the sides of some of the chassis rails at a later date. :cool:

I appreciate your efforts to develop a quality product and offer it at an attractive price. If I were in the market for such a thing, I would certainly consider yours.

You have proven your integrity through this discussion, and I hope you are successful in your ventures.

Can I have my peanuts back, now?

Thank you sir.

I like them, and if sleeved they are much stronger than a standard boxed frame.

I wouldn't want him to take a swing at me with it :)

roll up your sleeves and box that frame..or roll up your boxers and polish your sleeves or something like that.

"but a smooth round hole is about as good as it gets shorts of not having any hole in there"...

and I yield again...
see what happens when Torchy blogs on a 3200 mile week of trucking?

The truth....the "Hole" truth

And nothing but the truth...... they look cool...they lighten it and retain the basic strenght....Look back at the Swiss cheese ponco's .....lightening holes down both frame rails....4100lb car with lots of torque....never heard of them snapping one of those frames.... I believe those frame rails were about 3/16th too...

and that's all I'm gonna say bout that!

I don't know squat about theory but I do remember the 1980 F-100/150 having the swiss cheese frame, but only for a year. I wonder why Ford ditched the idea? Yes they look cool but I agree they would look better with a little smaller holes, just a bit more meat in the sides at the thinnest part. Also the car pictured in the listing seems to have them at a rather odd angle, kinda sloped down. Maybe it's just camera angle. If I was doing my own I would taper some 2x5 or 2x6 rectangular tubing. I would be concerned about my skills to get those all welded up without warpage and then the time it would take to grind the welds smooth. Anyway, just an old shadetrees 2 cents. Thanks for offering them and I hope you do well.

Latest posts

Back