GM steering box ID

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I'm in the planning stages for putting power steering on the Lincoln. All the different number boxes is a little confusing, 505, 525, 600, etc. I know the number has something to do with size and strength, with bigger numbers the stronger ones. What I don't know, is how to tell which box is which, and what vehicle to look for a certain number box. Most everybody uses the GM box, so that is what I'm looking for. This will be cross steer, I want the smallest box that will do the job so engine to box clearance is maintained.

Anybody know where to find a application chart for the different GM boxes, preferably with pics so I will know what I'm looking at? I'm thinking 80's on up to early 90's, that seems to be the most common at the Pull a Part I go to. Would like to get the entire assembly, box, lines, pump and brackets, from the same donor if I can, that way I know system will be matched. I'm thinking 80's G bodies, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Cutlass, would be what I want to look for? I'm thinking S10 box might be the same, but since none of them had the V8 factory, would still have to find pump and brackets.

Any ideas on where to look? :confused:

Good info Dr crank, almost everything I wanted to know! I had forgotten about the 4.3 S10's, it should be the same as a 350. I had looked for a list like that, but came up short. I had forgot they were made by Saginaw. If you get a chance to confirm the 4.3 bracket is the same as the V8, I would appreciate it, no rush, as it will be sometime after the first of the year before I go looking....

Old Iron, my Lincoln box mounts inside the frame, that's what the adapter plate does, allow you to put the Saginaw box in the stock location.

Now, I have a pretty good idea of what to look for, the years as well. I knew they changed to metric lines at some point, just wasn't sure when. As long as everything I get is built after 1978, it all should match up.

One that Hemmings didn't mention is AMC gear boxes are also Saginaw. I'm using a manual "525" in my 31 out of a 73 AMC.
If there's any chance of you traveling to Florida and decide to go the s10 rout with your build. I have an s10 box, pump, hoses and brackets still on a 95 I'm parting out. You're welcome to them. Was on a running dailey till the motor went south.

Latest posts

Back