Daytona Turkey Rod Run

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's 6 am and I am up and ready to go! :D We are going to try to hit the road by 7 and should be at the RV resort by about 1-2 pm, taking our time. Good to hear about the temps, Bill. There have been years where we sat out at Midnight watching the cars drive by in shorts, and there have been years where we were dressed up like Nanook of the North. Warm is better. :D

Plan is to get settled at the campground, then take Don's trailer and drop it off at U haul. Tonight we will go crusing and see what's shakin' at the East end of the track. Not sure if they start the festivities there tonight or tomorrow night. We're also going to try to catch up with you, Bill, and a few others, like Jim Robinson.

Time to go...............[cl

Don

Waiting for Gastrick's pix

Bill (Gastrick) had the same fate as me........both of our cars crapped out. :( He got part way there and his 32 lost fire. He had to take it home and come without it. His Brother Rod's vette also died enroute, and he took it home too. I blew a water pump the first night there but was able to repair it to use on Saturday, but on the way home on Sunday something left loose inside the motor and I had to rent a truck and trailer from U Haul to get it home. I am going jto park it in a corner until I feel like tearing it down to see what happened.

They were so slow at getting cars into the track on Friday that it took my Son's 2 hours to get in. Lots of cars overheating and breaking down. I think this is the last year we take our cars inside the track, but will still use them for cruising at night. It is just too much of a hassle, waiting in line for hours. If we go as spectators in a daily driver we can get in quicker and have a car to haul parts we buy back out.

Daytona was VERY strange this year mechanically. :mad:

Don

Yep, it was still fun. Got to see Gastrick and his Family on Saturday night, and we cruised around a little and got to relax for 4 days. The mechanical things are just part of rodding, but I will never take my 27 on a long trip again with 4:30 gears. 3000 rpms at 60 mph is NO FUN. :eek:

It poured rain Friday afternoon, and Dan and Don got drenched in Don's T. Mine was broken down under the awning of the RV, so I was still dry. Most of the weather was warm but Saturday night got pretty chilly.........nothing a bunch of rum and cokes couldn't cure though. :D

Don

I really don't know, but it seemed to be just as big. The official count may be out on their website, but I haven't seen it yet. I do know Bel Aire Plaza was jammed at night, but I do think there were fewer cars cruising around town. Not sure if that was because of the cooler weather on Saturday night, or the rain on Friday, or what.

They usually get about 6,000 cars. A guy who was camped next to us was from Detroit and was telling me about the Dream Cruise that is held there every year. He said 40,000 cars show up! :eek: Has anyone here ever been to that event?

Don

A guy who was camped next to us was from Detroit and was telling me about the Dream Cruise that is held there every year. He said 40,000 cars show up! :eek: Has anyone here ever been to that event?

Don

I have been twice. The first time was not so good for me because of poor planning. The second time I stayed with a friend. We just sat with our cameras on the side of the road 2 blocks from his house in chairs in the back of my old 40 Ford Pickup. That was the best!!!!! Hours of cars crusing by and we could walk back to the house for a break....an pick up more cold ones :) That has to be the biggest cruse-in in.. the world..

Cadman

mvc-004f.jpg

I'm back fellas and I'll be posting some photos tonight. I haven't been online since we got back so stay tuned for some late photos in the picture section.

Like Don said, my car was running better than ever. I was cruising up the highway getting settled into my seat and *poof* there she went. Dead silence and coasting to the roadside. No biggie. Called AAA, rode back home with it on the flatbed (first time it's ever been on a trailer), picked up my daily driver, headed back to Daytona, and had a great weekend.

Don, really nice seeing you guys again. We get up early and head for the entrancce gate before it opens. It only takes us a few minutes to get in the show with our cars that way.

Yeah Bill, mine came home on a trailer behind a rented U Haul truck too. :( Something went in the valve train ( I think). I'm so tired of this motor giving me problems that I am going to let it sit for a while until I am in the mood again. Never spent so much money on a motor before and never had one give me the problems this one has. :mad: I guess as the HP goes up the reliability goes down.

Don

I'm so tired of this motor giving me problems that I am going to let it sit for a while until I am in the mood again. Never spent so much money on a motor before and never had one give me the problems this one has. :mad: I guess as the HP goes up the reliability goes down.

Don

Don't you fellas have a DeSoto hemi laying around your shop?[;)

Yep, it is Don's. He is taking it to the machine shop this week or next so he can start building it. He bought the 30 Ford Tudor from Dan a while back and is going to put the Desoto in it.

BTW, Dan keeps asking me if I found out what crapped out on your 32 and Rod's Vette on the way to TR. What did you find out? I just pushed my 27 into the corner until I feel like looking at it again to see what went in mine.

Don

Don, I sure hope it is a simple and inexpensive fix on that cool engine in your roadster.

I know how you feel though. This summer, when my brother hit the gas instead of the brake and bent the front of my Anglia I got pretty distressed. Haven't been able to even think about fixing it.

Don, it's just the ignition module in the distributor in my coupe. We haven't looked at my brother's car.

Bob W. The Anglia vendor wasn't at the show this year as far as I could tell. I didn't see a single Anglia part in the place.

Glad it was something simple, Bill. Dan asked me again last night if I heard what had happened and I told him you mentioned module on another thread.

Don

Latest posts

Back