'49 F-1 big block/auto trans swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jammero

I would prefer trading the F-1 for an earlier model vehicle but if I can't I have a 454/TH400 setup I will install in it to use it as a semi daily driver and tow truck.
If anyone has done the 454/TH400 swap or knows of any threads or articals I would greatly appreciate it.
I have a '78 NOVA donor car I can use the differential and front clip for the disk brakes and possibly power steering.

Now sure about a 78 Nova clip but the early Camaro/Nova clip practically slide into the Ford F1 frame. If you go that root the engine and trans should bolt right in. If you sue the original frame there are mounts out there that makes it an easy swap.

Here some pictures of my 48 with an early Camaro clip. also the Ford 9 inch out of a 1957-72 Ford pickup is a bolt in and the right width. If you use another rear it should be about 61 1/4 inches from hub to hub.

Attachments

• 1948 F1-2.JPG
    1948 F1-2.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 48 f 1 A.jpg
    48 f 1 A.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 15
Thank's for the reply HOT40ROD. The NOVA is what I have to work with so I guess I'll get a disk conversion and rebuild the stock suspension other than possibly get a front axle with about a 2" drop.
Do you think I'll need stronger springs for the big block or would it drop it a bit with the extra weight without compromising the "spring effect"?

Latest posts

Back