6.9L Diesel Internation Engine

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wahlsratrod

Hello Everyone, im building a 1954 chevy truck rat rod. i really want to put a diesel engine but cant afford a cummings. I stumbled across a 1986 ford F-350 dually that i can pick up for $800. Has anyone put a diesel engine like that in a rat? Any pros/cons to doing so? i would really appreciate any help/feedback.

Thanks

Wahls Rat Rod

I personally wouldn't mess with the 6.9, they get about 16-18 mpg and have little to no power at all and are heavy. But that's just my opinion lol.

I agree with that. Even at that price, I'd wait for a Cummins or something else. Just the weight is going to cause you headaches.

Wow. Curiosity got me that time. Seems the 5.9L Cummins weighs in at 905 lbs dry and the 6.9L Ford comes in at 860. I read the crank and rods, in the cummins, make it heavy. I guess we all need to learn something new every day. Good luck.

I like the motors personally. I have a 50s international that I wouldn't hesitate to use the 6.9 in.

Don't get me wrong they run forever, if I was going to use an IH diesel it'd be the 7.3 before it turned into the Powerstroke. But the 6.9 and 7.3 both sound awesome with 3 inch straight pipes lol.

I'm not an IH diesel fan but the early 7.3 would be a good starting point. Just make sure it's a turbo'd model and not the IDI. Could use a gm 6.2 or 6.5 they pretty much are the same blocks as a 350 but like the IH 6.9, low power but pretty good fuel mileage. The cummins is a very expensive but it's a good engine. In either the 12 or 24 valve configuration. Heavy as hell but makes loads of power.

The 6.9 is a great motor... Easy to mod pump, easy to add turbo. Not great on fuel consumption hauling around a big one ton truck but pushing a hot rod around you'll be fine... Easy to adapt transmissions to aswell. Lots of money to replace the temperamental injectors and rebuilds are pricey aswell. They are not known for their longevity but they do better than most gas motors. They are the nicest sounding diesel international ever put together. If the mileage is not too high and the injectors are in good shape you are ahead of the curve. But keep in mind, mods to this engine are easy but expensive. A set of injectors can cost over 1600.00. I just bought a running dodge 6bt truck with a ppump motor for 1700.00. Deals are out there.

Had some experience with the 6.9s. Great engine. Definitely not fast but will run forever. My Dad's last one went 360k miles with only one head gasket replaced and the diesel pump rebuilt once. Downside, not a "spinny" engine. Upside, simple. Guess I'm just biased.

Forgot to mention. I would avoid the Chevy diesels. Mostly the early ones. The 6.2s were basically a gas motor with different heads and gaskets. Had some real issues. Again, personal bias but I hope it helps.

Latest posts

Back