1968 Dodge 273 LA engine. School me

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchie

I have come across a 1968 Dodge 273 (LA) engine. Claims to be a fresh rebuild.
It has a factory 4 barrel and solid lifters. I have wrenched on some 340's and 318's as well as 383's but not one of these.
What should I know about these. Things like transmission options. speed parts .etc....
Any and all help is appreciated.
Torchie

My first car was a 70 Duster and I put in a 273. I believe the engine was from a 69. It used any of the small block Mopar parts. Mine had a 340 cam, intake, 650 Carter AFB, and had 10.5 compression bored 30 over. HP estimate was around 300. It originally had solid lifters but I converted to hydraulic after the rebuild. All the parts at that time were listed for 273-340 cuin engines. It had a 3 speed trans but the bolt pattern was the normal small block so any of the trans would have bolted up. Any questions let me know. I got to know the engine pretty well. Jim

My best bud in high school had a white '64 Dart GT with a 273/4-speed! It was a great car & would haul!!! Don't know about any modern performance parts but others have pointed you in the right direction. Great lil motor that should serve you well & get good gas mileage to boot! Congrats & keep us in the loop!!! [cl

His was just like this one!

BoB

Attachments

• dartgt.jpg
    dartgt.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 14
Thanks for the responses gang.
I haven't got the motor yet, still in the recon mode.LOL
He says that it's freshly rebuilt . I will ask for documentation. He's asking $500 which almost seems to good to be true.
I would like to keep to Dodge all Mopar.
If it works out I will post it in the my main thread.
Torchie

I like a Dodgey thinker, Torchie. Yes, keep it all Mopar.
When you look at the motor/ car situation, You will need about 120 hp to drive down the highway and keep with the traffic. This motor will give you about 70 hp extra to play with.
Walter Chrysler didn't make a 'dud' motor so you're safe with that choice.

I like a Dodgey thinker, Torchie. Yes, keep it all Mopar.
When you look at the motor/ car situation, You will need about 120 hp to drive down the highway and keep with the traffic. This motor will give you about 70 hp extra to play with.
Walter Chrysler didn't make a 'dud' motor so you're safe with that choice.

Sounds good Mac.
I'm looking for a cruiser. Not a bruiser.LOL
And truthfully. It's probably 100HP more the the original plant.:)
Torchie

Latest posts

Back