Engine Gurus - What do you think?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choppinczech

My plans were always to get a GM 383 crate motor for my build.

But the 350 block I have for mock up is making me wonder if I should have it built instead.

The ID# is 3970010 which is a '69 to '79 2 bolt 350. Low HP @ 185, High HP @ 370. Dated to November 20, 1978.

There doesn't appear to be any previous machining done and I also have the crank.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

price, time etc

questions l ask myself when this is a subject that comes up;

first is cost. is it cheaper to buy a long/short block than assembling the stuff l have.

second has to be time, if l am l working on a set time frame is it faster to order one and just plug it in or take the time and effort to build it.

third would be a warranty if you order one.

fourth is are you assembling the motor or a machine shop in the area and do they offer a warranty or some kind of guaranty on there services.

fifth is the power and torque l am looking to get out of the motor and if that is achievable by me/shop doing it or the crate motor already done and is what l want for the project.

hope these help,

Later :cool:

It's hard to beat a crate motor for cost in both money and time. But some still get the pleasure out of saying "I built it myself"

It's hard to beat a crate motor for cost in both money and time. But some still get the pleasure out of saying "I built it myself"

For sure! When it comes to a SBC it is hard to beat the economics of a crate motor. On the other hand, you're part way there. If it was me, I'd be looking at when I needed the motor and what my budget was for it. If you have more time than money I'd be looking for parts to make that 350 a 383 and researching machining costs vs the crate motor cost. When it come to cost of crate vs putting it together myself, I will always go with putting it together myself if even if the $$'s are close. That's just me.

If you're building the engine yourself, you have to be aware of rod, cam and block clearance issues with the 400 crank going in the 350 block plus, the main journals are different sizes too.
If you've never built a stroker motor, it's best to let someone else build it or have them supervise you or buy a crate engine.

My 2 cents....

If you have the skills and the ability ......have the block and parts machined and use what you have assembled by you...or a good machine shop should be able to set up the short block and then you can add heads, cam and what you want....you'll save some money.....if you are not confident in your set u up abilities and have the money go for the crate....no fuss or bother and warranty to boot and done faster...but skull was on the money.....all are considerations you need to sit down and ponder.....all that have responded have valid points...

Latest posts

Back