Fly wheel question?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchie

Got my freshly turned Olds fly wheel back from the shop last night.
When my buddy dropped it off he remarked about the fact that there were some holes in it with slotted screws in them.
He said that he has never encountered this before. Can't say that I have either.
I didn't look at the fly wheel when it arrived just left it in the shipping box as I knew that it was going to the shop to get cleaned up.
My first thought is that it was drilled for another PP bolt pattern as well. Perhaps it is designed to be used for BOP or Cadillac.
Any thoughts or answers would be appreciated as always.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 25
What year is that flywheel? The holes look like the exact same pattern, just moved over an inch? Metric and Standard?

What year is that flywheel? The holes look like the exact same pattern, just moved over an inch? Metric and Standard?

!76 tooth that goes from 1954 to sometime in the 60's Sam. I agree that the holes are the exact same pattern just moved .

Kinda looks like its for holding pins?
Flywheel_123_640.jpg

Seems like a lot of holes if it is holding pins. Plus you would think that there would be one pin per set of holes. Not 2. Compare it to the one pictured.

Is it possible that's a screw-on ring gear??? just guessing...

Olds did use the screw on ring gear for the later flywheels. But not this vintage smallfoot.

If you look at the pic of mine the holes that are there match up with the Ford "Long Style" PP. Plus once you put that PP on some of the holes with the screws are covered.[S
I am going to post this on some other sites and see what the response is. And if I don't get a definitive answer then I may have to join the Olds forum.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 5
It's been said that I'm simple minded but....
If my pressure plate bolted up I wouldn't give the screws a second thought.

Take one of the screws out and see if it might have 2 different size threads in it would be my only guess.

Interesting.

Last edited:
It's been said that I'm simple minded but....
If my pressure plate bolted up I wouldn't give the screws a second thought.

Take one of the screws out and see if it might have 2 different size threads in in would be my only guess.

Interesting.

Simple minds think alike POPS as that was my plan.:D
But inquiring minds want to know as well.:p
Torchie.

X2 on that....

Don't know , don't worry... would be my line of thought....but if you want my opinion....I'd think that since the teeth are not on the flywheel edge, they may very well be held on with those screws....if it matters.....:D

Do these screws actually come out? (It would seem pointless to throw a screw in a dead hole.)

I'm suggesting they may be part of the casting and serve no purpose... except to raise the question. [S

Don't know , don't worry... would be my line of thought....but if you want my opinion....I'd think that since the teeth are not on the flywheel edge, they may very well be held on with those screws....if it matters.....:D
Doesn't appear to hold the teeth on Sarge. This is a one piece casting with out a ring gear.

Do these screws actually come out? (It would seem pointless to throw a screw in a dead hole.)

I'm suggesting they may be part of the casting and serve no purpose... except to raise the question. [S

Haven't tried to get them out and probably won't Doc. But you are very correct about the raising of the ??????[S The holes do go all the way thru though just like the PP mount holes.

I posted on the know it all site so we will see if I get any answers.:rolleyes:
Torchie.

Welcome to the site

Hey Torchie!

You can go with either a right or left pressure plate. ;)

Nice guys.:D

Doesn't appear to hold the teeth on Sarge. This is a one piece casting with out a ring gear.

Looked like it was two piece.....anyway, yeah I wouldn't mess with it....just enjoy:D

I'm not planning to Sarge. Just curious.:D

I talked with the guy that I got it from and he said that he had gotten it from the estate of a hardcore Olds guy that did a lot of racing. I'm wondering if this wheel was set up for some sort of heavy duty racing clutch.
The mystery deepens......
Torchie.

grinding fluid

The coolant residue on the flywheel can attact the clutch disc material, "Glue it to the flywheel. " A friend brought his 34 flathead pickup over for me to R & R the clutch. He traded for the pickup and the guy said everything in the drive train was new. I started the truck and let it get warm then got it out in the street in first gear and started it in first gear with the gas pedal to the floor and the clutch to the floor. It broke loose and I slipped the clutch aroung the block to polish the clutch. an easy fix. If you get it running right away the friction will burn it out. If it is going to be bolted together for a while clean the flywheel to remove all traces of coolant.

Thanks for the input TIMOTHALE. It will be a while before it is all put together.
The substance you see on the flywheel is oil to keep the surface from rusting.
All the grinding coolant was cleaned off after turning.:D
Torchie.

Well it appears that I have the only fly wheel like this in captivity as I also posted on the HAMB ( The know it all site) and only recieved 2 responses.:rolleyes: Neither of which gleaned any new information.
Oh well.... Onward and upward.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back