Blown Head gasket

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52 fordman

Okay Its not a rod... its a S10 2001 motor 4 cyc. got 107,000 miles on it. Paint is peeling but the body is rust free and straight. New clutch and fuel pump. I got $500 in it total cost including buying it. So put a gasket in it or part it out???? Was going to fix it and resell it around here it worth about 1500 to 2000.... It has a few other issues to get it up to par. needs mirror tail gate latch dash is bad so is head liner. all salvage yard stuff.

What would you do?

52 fordman

if it was run hot , you may as well part it out . it will burn oil . mine blew a gasket before I bought it ,, it run hot . they put the gasket on and every 300 miles it went threw a qt. of oil ,, no smoke , just burnt oil...then after 1000 miles or so it blew another gasket .. If your going to put one on it make sure to replace the head bolts if they recommend it . a lot of models , head bolts stretch and if the bolt hole has a bottom in it . the bolt will not torque down it will bottom out and you think its tight . Just my 2 cents

If you plan on putting a head gasket on it, make sure you have the head surfaced. That will get rid of any warpage if it has run hot and it should seal up good.

The 2.2 with the aluminum head is prone to cracks

if overheated.....if you decide to go with the head gasket...as Bama said, have the head checked first...then surfaced if good....otherwise they are not bad little motors....just don't like to be overheated....

yank a running motor and drop it in, that's what I did, then I sold the truck, the S-10 is just too small for my long legs...

The time involved in pulling head, taking to machine shop, resurfacing, etc... it was faster to do an engine swap, make sure you match up the engine type they threw out alot of 4 bangers in those years... it's a god idea to keep the original motor and use the coil pack from it, teh ECU's on those trucks are finiky... been there done that....

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back