SHOTROD 1950ISH 5 window chevy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bullet

moving things around inside, mocking up some stuff a 4O cal, that is what the guy l got the from put some of the holes in her with, fell outta the heater.

pics or it didn't happen [P

Later :cool:

Attachments

• 40 cal 1.jpg
    40 cal 1.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 40 cal 2.jpg
    40 cal 2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 40 cal 3.jpg
    40 cal 3.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 40 cal 4.jpg
    40 cal 4.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 40 cal.jpg
    40 cal.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 19
whatever l can find low buck is what l will use for the reverse/V drive, with all the stuff l find, ya never know what l'll find.

quickie mock-up on frame, the firewall edges near where the tire turning occurs is gonna need some trimming & fine tuning.

defiantly needs a bit of lowering to meet my taste.

112'' wheelbase is the chassis l got from my friend, gives me approx 9O'' from rear of cab to frame end making a long box to cover all that cab to tailgate space.

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1458.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1460.jpg
    IMG_1460.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1461.jpg
    IMG_1461.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1462.jpg
    IMG_1462.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Just thinking out loud, if you use a transfer case turned with the front output toward the back, will the driveshaft turn the correct direction to move the truck forward? I haven't messed with many transfer cases.

thoughts

05snopro440 "if you use a transfer case turned with the front output toward the back, will the driveshaft turn the correct direction to move the truck forward? I haven't not sure about rotation.''

this is something all new to me on figuring it out, guess l should call some 4x4 people and find out:confused:[S

this is why the site ROCKS, most everyone looking out and helping each other[cl:D

Last edited:
hoping it will work out

update 3:15pm: l made a few phone calls, yep, it would turn reveres, so l have to figure out a way to fix that if l run a transfer case.

one option the people l talked to suggested TC with reverse, run the reverse gear, l go the right way. bunch of shops and 4x4 people have not ever heard of one so l do not know if they even exist.

one other said if l mount the re-end upside down it will work, but l am not to sure about that curing the problem, and then there's brakes, vent and other stuff to consider. a lot of people have done it, so that is probably the answer AND all info l found says use a 9" or 8 3/4''.

did on line research, seem a lot of people have done it, says the only draw back is the rear-end is not quite as strong but, since l am using a 3OOhp SBC it should hold up fine.

l have the 8 3/4 out of a mid 197O's truck, near as l can guess it's a 355.

plans coming along quickly. hope to have a facsimile of a truck by june/july 2O2O for the one car show l look forward to every august.

Later:cool:

Last edited:
update 3:15pm: l made a few phone calls, yep, it would turn reveres, so l have to figure out a way to fix that if l run a transfer case.

one option the people l talked to suggested TC with reverse, run the reverse gear, l go the right way. bunch of shops and 4x4 people have not ever heard of one so l do not know if they even exist.

one other said if l mount the re-end upside down it will work, but l am not to sure about that curing the problem, and then there's brakes, vent and other stuff to consider. a lot of people have done it, so that is probably the answer AND all info l found says use a 9" or 8 3/4''.

did on line research, seem a lot of people have done it, says the only draw back is the rear-end is not quite as strong but, since l am using a 3OOhp SBC it should hold up fine.

l have the 8 3/4 out of a mid 197O's truck, near as l can guess it's a 355.

plans coming along quickly.

Later:cool:

So you don't want three speeds in reverse and 1 speed forward? Given the other issues that you'd have to solve by using a transfer case, myself I think I'd look for a V-drive then you don't have to do all the messing about with the axle and brakes.

Thanks for updating us, I'm glad we figured that out before you had a vehicle that went really fast backwards.

I think if you turn an axle upside down you might run into oiling problems. Might work if the pinion is centered vertically, but a low pinion like a 8" or 9" Ford the pinion wouldn't get enough oiling.

OK. It seems to me that there would be no issues with using a transfer case if the drivetrain is configured the same way with the engine, transmission, transfer case, and differential. The one change is using a rear dif instead of a front dif connected to the TF output for the front. The other parts don't know any different. If it works facing forward, it will work facing backwards.

Nope. :( I just looked at some pics on Google. The front dif has a high input, and the rear has low input. (That accounts for the upside-down idea.)

So, use a front dif, and make it four-wheel steering. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=Che...UIEygC&biw=1254&bih=790#imgrc=k1lUuRql9NkonM:

OK. It seems to me that there would be no issues with using a transfer case if the drivetrain is configured the same way with the engine, transmission, transfer case, and differential. The one change is using a rear dif instead of a front dif connected to the TF output for the front. The other parts don't know any different. If it works facing forward, it will work facing backwards.

Nope. :( I just looked at some pics on Google. The front dif has a high input, and the rear has low input. (That accounts for the upside-down idea.)

So, use a front dif, and make it four-wheel steering. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=Che...UIEygC&biw=1254&bih=790#imgrc=k1lUuRql9NkonM:

Front diff or not, you've turned the transfer case and drivetrain around so it's still going to want to go the opposite direction. The driveshaft rotation is wrong.

Seems to me the easiest and best way to solve it is a V drive.

Front diff or not, you've turned the transfer case and drivetrain around so it's still going to want to go the opposite direction. The driveshaft rotation is wrong.
Seems to me the easiest and best way to solve it is a V drive.
Of course you are correct, good Sir. And, I agree that the v-drive is the easy way. That is why they were invented. :D Neater, cleaner lighter installation, and most importantly, it takes up way less space.

I thought about it again this morning and saw where I got off track. [S[S[S

Turning the front half of a TC system around to face backward in a frame is the same as turning the cab around. The wheels still turn the same way. (front dif pulls, rear dif pushes) So, it doesn't work in stock configuration. Now, if we put a "rear" dif in place of the "front" dif, wouldn't we be good to go? The rear dif would push the "other way" when in the front dif position, which is what we want. Granted, it would still be a big clumsy mess.

Then there is the issue of drive shaft and carrier offset. EWWW! :eek::eek: Forgetaboutit. Find that V-drive. :D

And thanks for the brain workout, my friend. I need more of those these days.

Turning the front half of a TC system around to face backward in a frame is the same as turning the cab around. The wheels still turn the same way. (front dif pulls, rear dif pushes) So, it doesn't work in stock configuration. Now, if we put a "rear" dif in place of the "front" dif, wouldn't we be good to go? The rear dif would push the "other way" when in the front dif position, which is what we want.

i thought he was using the input of the divorced case as the input and the front axle output to run to the rear axle. wouldnt that be turning the right way to go forward? meaning, he flipped the transfer case (not flipped over, just flipped around horizontally), which flipped the drives horizontally (reverse if front hooked to front and rear hooked to rear) but also flipped drives horizontally, front to rear, should turn the right way? gotta lock it in 4H and the rear output drive still spinning, but should turn the right way to make the "front" axle turn "backwards" which would be the rear axle turning forwards.

i thought he was using the input of the divorced case as the input and the front axle output to run to the rear axle. wouldnt that be turning the right way to go forward? meaning, he flipped the transfer case (not flipped over, just flipped around horizontally), which flipped the drives horizontally (reverse if front hooked to front and rear hooked to rear) but also flipped drives horizontally, front to rear, should turn the right way? gotta lock it in 4H and the rear output drive still spinning, but should turn the right way to make the "front" axle turn "backwards" which would be the rear axle turning forwards.
I think so... This does get confusing. Doesn't it? Even with pictures. :eek:

Of course you are correct, good Sir. And, I agree that the v-drive is the easy way. That is why they were invented. :D Neater, cleaner lighter installation, and most importantly, it takes up way less space.

I thought about it again this morning and saw where I got off track. [S[S[S

Turning the front half of a TC system around to face backward in a frame is the same as turning the cab around. The wheels still turn the same way. (front dif pulls, rear dif pushes) So, it doesn't work in stock configuration. Now, if we put a "rear" dif in place of the "front" dif, wouldn't we be good to go? The rear dif would push the "other way" when in the front dif position, which is what we want. Granted, it would still be a big clumsy mess.

Then there is the issue of drive shaft and carrier offset. EWWW! :eek::eek: Forgetaboutit. Find that V-drive. :D

And thanks for the brain workout, my friend. I need more of those these days.

I think so... This does get confusing. Doesn't it? Even with pictures. :eek:

Assuming both driveshafts rotate the same direction out of the TC (most do), when you turn it around, the driveshaft is rotating the opposite direction that they both were in the original configuration. So using a rear differential, it would have to be upside down to go the correct direction. Using a front differential would have the same issue, because you're turning it around as well. I would be worried about bearing lubrication as well if you're turning the diff upside down (depending on what diff it is).

The only way to use a transfer case and do that is if the front TC output turns the opposite direction of the rear.

Last edited:
Assuming both driveshafts rotate the same direction out of the TC (most do), when you turn it around, the driveshaft is rotating the opposite direction that they both were in the original configuration. So using a rear differential, it would have to be upside down to go the correct direction.

only if you wanted it to go BACKWARDS. what you are saying is true, if you tried to turn a transfer case around and run a motor in the rear and keep the same axles in the same places, it would indeed run backwards. but keep in mind the front axle is already geared to run in "reverse" and if you used a rear axle on the front and a front axle on the rear the only thing that would change is the steering. flipping the axles ALSO corrects the backwards drive. I cant even understand how you would keep the rear out going to the rear with the transfer case turned around.

it seems like you are saying turning the diff around makes the axles run backwards. true, no argument. but changing the front diff to a rear diff makes it run forwards.

only if you wanted it to go BACKWARDS. what you are saying is true, if you tried to turn a transfer case around and run a motor in the rear and keep the same axles in the same places, it would indeed run backwards. but keep in mind the front axle is already geared to run in "reverse" and if you used a rear axle on the front and a front axle on the rear the only thing that would change is the steering. flipping the axles ALSO corrects the backwards drive. I cant even understand how you would keep the rear out going to the rear with the transfer case turned around.

it seems like you are saying turning the diff around makes the axles run backwards. true, no argument. but changing the front diff to a rear diff makes it run forwards.

Nope, draw it out.

If you turn the engine, trans, and transfer case around and use the front output to drive the rear diff, the driveshaft is spinning backwards so you'll be going backwards in drive. However, if you use a front diff at the rear you're still going backwards in drive because you've essentially turned the entire drivetrain around.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Transfer Case.jpg
    Transfer Case.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back