Between a rat and a hard place

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarat

So I have got this Ventura, latest project, as close to resale as possible, and I could actually turn a profit on this one. But I may keep it for awhile, here is the one sentence updates.

Still can't figure oil consumption, plugs are tan, possible rear main, except I don't see any oil coating the flexplate or slinging off.

Did the valve lash adjustment, zero, then only a quarter turn, still noisy at cold start but all well when oil flowing and warmed up.

I did some minor body repair, and although the color is "Viper Red"...I discovered that Rustoleum Cherry was the exact same color!

Yes Virginia, it was the fuel pump.

Yes, I have a hard time keeping bumpers on my cars, in this case, they are so frigging heavy, it actually pulled the front down to where the skinnies were hitting the fenders on turns and the frame crossmember was scraping my driveway hump...so off with both, they must be 300 pounds combined.

Yes, the previous one sentence was long.

Other than all that, it gets a lot of attention...(and yes I like the chopped look)

Attachments

• IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 60
Valve lash is 1/2 turn after 0 lash is felt and heard.

I would like to see a pic of the engine

Thinking about it earlier I will probably go in and give another 1/4 turn

Also, I dumped the electric fan and put in a 17 inch flex fan, still need a shroud but running much cooler

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 40
Yes, I have a hard time keeping bumpers on my cars, in this case, they are so frigging heavy, it actually pulled the front down to where the skinnies were hitting the fenders on turns and the frame crossmember was scraping my driveway hump...so off with both, they must be 300 pounds combined.

My buddy B-tard drag raced a Nova for several years. He took the massive reinforcement out of the front bumper and made a super lightweight replacement. (Photo attached. Not his car, but a virtual twin.)

Attachments

• Bert Nova.jpg
    Bert Nova.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 43
My buddy B-tard drag raced a Nova for several years. He took the massive reinforcement out of the front bumper and made a super lightweight replacement. (Photo attached. Not his car, but a virtual twin.)

Yes I have been studying something similar, these bumpers have more meat in them than the whole car, seem easy to lighten up.

Did the lash another quarter turn, which brings it to more the spec suggested by Old Iron, running much better and a little quieter. Maybe now I can put the new wiper motor in because I had to take it off to remove the valve cover, the blades themselves are still off...but like Tripper said...who the hell needs wipers...:p

This thing is getting better and may now be a keeper. :) I did add a little Bars stop leak and it appears to have taken care of the slight rear main leak, (rope seal) but it now appears that it was the oil filter that was leaking, blowing out while driving but no drippy when stopped...It was one of those after market smaller cans, that didn't feel right when tight. I went to the original size and seems better. More road testing will tell.

I can't go anywhere without somebody giving a thumbs up, shout out, and stopping me asking me what the hell it is....and bumpers still not on!

.....but, thinking about it, back in the 50's, hot rods were stripped down and chopped up etc...whats the difference moving up to today? The stance and grill design seems to overide the no bumpers, low in front, it looks RATical, not like just another car on the road....imho...

I am going to redesign and lighten up the front bumper, leave the meat on the rear for extra weight, the rear is not as heavy as the front.

We shall see....thanks for reading.:)

Ok so I sold the Ventura.

I was putting more oil in it than gas! Most of it was assorted gasket leaks and a main seal. It also had a lifter that was getting worse. I am thinking that the last "burnout" by young strong and tatooed 2 years ago floated the valve and damaged something.

So it was either sink more bucks and work into it or get all my invested money back, in these uncertain times, which I did, plus a few hundred. It was on craigslist for two days. The guy that bought it already had a few too many cars, and was mentioning that his wife was not going to be happy.

The guy he brought with him was an engine guy, I noticed he seemed smitten by the car. Said he would pull everything and make it right. I am an honest broker so I let them know what was up with the car. (lifter was quieter but you could feel the smutz a little, I told them it was noisy on cold starts) Buyer wanted to come back with his trailer but engine guy wanted to drive it the hour and a half ride back. So deal made. goodbye.

I called later to see if they made it back ok, sure enough, wife got mad, engine guy bought the car from buyer! Engine guy paid fuel costs for buyer.

Amazing... the power of a wife.

....back to 53 chev .....

Ok so I sold the Ventura.

I was putting more oil in it than gas! Most of it was assorted gasket leaks and a main seal. It also had a lifter that was getting worse. I am thinking that the last "burnout" by young strong and tatooed 2 years ago floated the valve and damaged something.

So it was either sink more bucks and work into it or get all my invested money back, in these uncertain times, which I did, plus a few hundred. It was on craigslist for two days. The guy that bought it already had a few too many cars, and was mentioning that his wife was not going to be happy.

The guy he brought with him was an engine guy, I noticed he seemed smitten by the car. Said he would pull everything and make it right. I am an honest broker so I let them know what was up with the car. (lifter was quieter but you could feel the smutz a little, I told them it was noisy on cold starts) Buyer wanted to come back with his trailer but engine guy wanted to drive it the hour and a half ride back. So deal made. goodbye.

I called later to see if they made it back ok, sure enough, wife got mad, engine guy bought the car from buyer! Engine guy paid fuel costs for buyer.

Amazing... the power of a wife.

....back to 53 chev .....

Haha, when Mama ain't happy, nobody is happy ! :D I think we have all been there.

Glad you found a buyer. In these weird times, nothing is really selling much, people are saving their money. But that engine won't be a problem for the engine guy who bought it.

Haha, when Mama ain't happy, nobody is happy ! :D I think we have all been there.

Glad you found a buyer. In these weird times, nothing is really selling much, people are saving their money. But that engine won't be a problem for the engine guy who bought it.

Actually I am finding there are people with a little extra stimulus to spend too.

Latest posts

Back