36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Guys, there're a couple of things I never thought of and one thing that you pointed out, that I already knew. I knew I was showing off a wee bit, but I never thought that I have a custom car, [with lots of small custom things in it] and my cheapo lathe should not have been displayed to the public.

Own it. All of it. As the kids say.[ddd
[P [P [P
Torchie

Mac, I might have been ribbing you a little not really making fun...I've made a bunch of parts in drills and drill presses over the years for lack of having a real lathe. A person gains no more respect from me than one that finds a way to make do with what he has on hand. [cl

Mac, I might have been ribbing you a little not really making fun...I've made a bunch of parts in drills and drill presses over the years for lack of having a real lathe. A person gains no more respect from me than one that finds a way to make do with what he has on hand. [cl

Isn't that the "UDS" moto[S

Oh, I've been taking your ribbing quite well, but I do have to rib you back sometimes. [Sometimes it's hard to write good sarcasm; there's no tone of voice and no facial features.] Good ribbing, Bring it on. :D:D
I have quite a few little shafts and hook-ups for my drills to use them as a poor-mans lathe.
Yesterday I made my dash knob, and learned a valuable lesson. If you cut the initial carving block exactly the right size, you have to put the mounting shaft exactly in the middle or you will have a flat side on your new 'round' knob. So,--- I had to throw my first knob away and get a bigger piece of hard plastic. :eek:

So I got another little block of plastic, blackish this time, and lathed a new knob. The shoulder of the cheapo storebought knob looked like it could be 'lathed' down to 5/16 and then died to coarse 5/16 thread, [my 'lathe' mandrel size]. No such luck. It all came apart when it got thinner. So --- I had to weld a cut off 5/16 bolt on the end of the cable to screw the knob onto. After priming and painting the knob, I dremelled a C in the end to tell people this was the choke button. When I put the choke cable all in it's rightful place I realized that it was the wrong shade of black so I painted it gloss black and it is now drying.

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 19
Mac, someday when you have the time and feel like it, I'd appreciate a little explanation of the tools you've built to use with your drills to make them function as a cheap lathe. I'm impressed by your ingenuity! [cl[cl

Sorry Animal, I've got several good excuses why I've taken so long to answer you. The first two pictures are homemade tools. The first two things are thread die deep sockets to put threads on hard to get at places, where the die handle hits something, [like U-bolts]. They have 1/2" drive sockets welded into the other ends of them. The third thing is a 5/16" mandrel shaft for making small things, and the fourth is a 1/2" mandrel with spacers and washers to make bigger things and true up pulleys. The fifth is an extension to reach a way inside something and burr it out bigger. The last thing, [just stumbled across it in my homemade tool drawer] is a battery post mould. I have an old Kenworth that has a series/parallel switch on it to let me run on 12 volts all day but start on 24 volts. If I've rattled a battery connection slightly loose during the day the truck works all right and shuts off all right but when I try to start it the next morning there is a big fisssssst and the loose connection is really obvious, the post is fried off. It could be really cold out, really dark out, you haven't had breakfast yet, and you still have to be at work on time. Oh, and you haven't started the truck yet, either. Quickly, you have to bore a small hole in the remaining battery post pedestal, screw in a big wood screw, fire up a torch, melt some lead, place this chrome handled mold on the post stub and pour in the molten lead, wait until the lead solidifies, remount the battery cables, and start up the truck.

Back to making a truck, I've installed the radiator but spent some time straightening it up.

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 41
I've been doing a whole lot of getting ready for winter. Here's some pictures of one weird project; taking a gravel box off of a '45 Ford two ton, which I'm going to trade for an old wooden grain box that will fit on my 'new to me' '36 Ford two ton.
I have got back to my '36 pickup, and here are some pictures of it all back together with oil and anti-freeze added. Now for the test start-up.

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 39
The plans for the '45 Ford, were always a bit watery, but I was going to probably make a '36 two ton out of it with a different cab. I have a 460 with automatic that would be the powerhouse. Now that I have a '36 two ton complete, that I promised to keep stock for a while, I'm not sure what I'll do with the '45. I haven't told you yet that it has a million miles on it so it's worn out, rusted out and had a 'gentle' rollover. The first picture is the dash of my spare '36 cab.

Meanwhile, back in the shop, where it's warm, I got myself into a 'situation'. This fall I became a 4-H project leader. There are about ten little gaffers running around in the shop every once in a while. I put the bigger ones onto taking apart my old flathead motor to see why it was ticking and scaring me. Here's the evidence. The rings were getting very tired and the oil was burning up, leaving quite a bit of carbon on the heads and pistons. Lately the carbon build-up on the pistons was touching the carbon on the heads.

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2075.jpg
    IMG_2075.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg