1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I love this build.... can't wait to see it finished and on the road....

jeeze barber you snuck in there as i was writing my reply.... thanks for following my build i appreciate all the positive feed back.. it helps me to stay motivated cause sometimes i feel like i am in over my head and i will never get it on the road.... but man i cant let you guys down.. i got to just keep at it.. ill get there

Nice work, this truck is going to be terrific. Personally, I would forgo the friction shocks for the reasons mentioned above.

Nevertheless this truck will be awesome, I really like the concept. Your brackets are a thing of beauty.

WOW

Looked closley at your thread, i am really impressed by the metal work and machine work. Not sure what you do for a living, but i would guess you have worked as a Machinest.

wish you were closer i would love to look at that stuff in person.

Pablo

I really enjoy following your build CORPO. The attention to detail is super nice.

Thanks gas.. coming from a builder of your caliber that is quite a complement...

Nice work, this truck is going to be terrific. Personally, I would forgo the friction shocks for the reasons mentioned above.

Nevertheless this truck will be awesome, I really like the concept. Your brackets are a thing of beauty.

thanks man.. yeah i think i will skip the friction shocks.. i was thinking about it as i was laying in bed last night.. i might be able to make a bushing that goes in to the tube that the bags are on and run that as the lower point for gas shocks... we will see.. wont be messing with the shocks till next year.. its almost nap time for the frame.. its got to go into storage on sat :(

Looked closley at your thread, i am really impressed by the metal work and machine work. Not sure what you do for a living, but i would guess you have worked as a Machinest.

wish you were closer i would love to look at that stuff in person.

Pablo

eastern Washington not that far.. haha.. ok maybe it is..
nope never been a machinist... i just turned 25 and i have only been workin a real job now for a year and a half... my job in high school barley counts as a job.. haha

the bracketery hasnt been to bad for me to fab .. but the body work has me worried a bit... im hoping it turns out.. i got lots of that to do...

im hoping that i can throw the cab on tonight and roll it outside.. i really want to get a good look at it before the frame has to leave on sat..

Last edited:
Well guys .... i finally rolled it outside... then continued to roll it up on to a trailer off to storage :(

i did snap a few shots... i had it aired all the way up right about 7 inches so i could get as much clearance to get it up on the trailer still looks pretty low but as we all know it will go much lower

the tire on the passenger front is larger.. in case it looks funny to anyone..

Squint real hard and envision the cab on there ripping down the road.. hows it look? I think it looks pretty mean
IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

one more
IMG_1223.jpg

I did have it aired out in a parking lot where its being stored.. i had to air it out load it full of crap air it back up and roll it in to my storage space.. aka my grandpas garage.. haha

It looked pretty sweet aired out from a distance.. but guess what i didnt do.. yep thats right.. no picture..

but i started in on my cab(s) feeling a little in over my head.. so the black cab as you all have seen in my mock ups is the origonal cab.. and it is not rotten at all.. (well a little but not bad for its age) but is such a wrinkled mess.. and all the seams are coming apart..

IMG_1225.jpg

I dug a ton of bondo out of here... some spots are probably close to an inch deep
IMG_1228.jpg

the roof has been caved in in several spots..
IMG_1227.jpg

Its far worse than it shows up in the pictures...

Sooooooo
i picked this other cab (37 from what i was told)up last year basically for the roof... but i may be changing my plans.. this cab is pretty straight.. but the back bottom and the floor is completly gone.. someone told me that the doors from a 36 wouldnt fit in a 37...

IMG_1232.jpg

oh yeah the rockers are completely crushed too...

So now im at the point of trying to figure out where to start.. there is no structure to hold the doors in.. the wood was rotten in both cabs not that i would have run it to begin with...

so i am thinking about placing the doors in.. and putting a freight strap around the bottom and pulling it in and then tacking the doors in... then start building a structure inside the rusty cab... then once the structure is in.. patching in all good sheet metal from the black cab.. but i dont know.. theres alot of options.. and im honestly feeling in over my head.. so i might have to step back and re evaluate things...

Im open to any suggestions/ approaches you guys might have for me....

the other idea i am toying with is taking the floor structure out of the black cab and putting it in the rusty cab and starting to build from there.. but im afraid of collapsing the body or making the situation worse... i guess i just dont know where to start yet...

Overwhelmed

Yeah, I hear ya Corpo! I am at that same point in my Essex build. http://www.clubhotrod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39457
I too am overwhelmed by the body work needed. I seemed to charge into (and out of) my frame build etc., but darned if the body isn't getting me down. First off I am trying to fill in 42 holes in the firewall [;), and my body came in two pieces, or 4 if you count the doors. It had no floor structure at all. In a previous it had been made into a roadster (no top), and when they put the top (or a top) back on they didn't get it straight. I need to take off the whole top, patch/rebuild etc. and then put it back on in alignment. I have built a subfloor in it now, but it needs more work. And the body is full of dents and holes. Also the quarters need replacement along with the wheel wells. I am feeling like quitting on it, truthfully! :mad: Perley
P.S. You are doing one terrific job with the 1.5.

Perley man.. we cant let these things beat us... some times we just need to step back for a bit... but i definitely know where you are mentally towards your project..

You should start a build on here.. i would like to see what you are up to as im sure others would as well.. i followed your link.. but it wouldn't let me see pictures unless i register..

I did start trimming the "fat" aka rot off the rusty cab tonight.. just cutting some of it away helped a bit.. progress will probably be slow at first but im going to keep at it

Corpo,
Im no pro at this but my 34 cab is all twisted up. I built a fab table so I could get the floor structure of the cab bolted down to something square and true. You problably know this but get the bottom of the cab frame true before you start tacking. I almost tacked mine together first and that would have been a mess.
I started with squaring up the cab, fixed the hinges, bolted the cowl back in, hammer and dollie work, and am now going to start on the chop. (in that order) Patch work on the lowers will be last for mine. What are you doing with the spare cab:p??

I still can't get over how small that chassis makes that trailer look, wow. I beieve it would be easier to fix the rot versus all the wrinkles, so I would get inside the cab and weld in cross braces eveywhere I could and then tear it apart, that should keep the cab from colapsing. You want to get rid of all the wood anyway so put metal back in its place. But it should be possible to cut the entire bottom of the blac cab and put it on the other. Man I hope I wrote all that down like I was thinking. Good luck we know you will get it figured out, and I can't wait.

Corpo,
Im no pro at this but my 34 cab is all twisted up. I built a fab table so I could get the floor structure of the cab bolted down to something square and true. You problably know this but get the bottom of the cab frame true before you start tacking. I almost tacked mine together first and that would have been a mess.
I started with squaring up the cab, fixed the hinges, bolted the cowl back in, hammer and dollie work, and am now going to start on the chop. (in that order) Patch work on the lowers will be last for mine. What are you doing with the spare cab:p??

Yeah i am definitely going to get it as square as possible before i tack the doors in.. as far as the other cab goes.. i dont think there will be much left of it once i get all my patch panels out of it.. how come i havent seen a build thread on your truck?????

I still can't get over how small that chassis makes that trailer look, wow. I beieve it would be easier to fix the rot versus all the wrinkles, so I would get inside the cab and weld in cross braces eveywhere I could and then tear it apart, that should keep the cab from colapsing. You want to get rid of all the wood anyway so put metal back in its place. But it should be possible to cut the entire bottom of the blac cab and put it on the other. Man I hope I wrote all that down like I was thinking. Good luck we know you will get it figured out, and I can't wait.

The trailer was small.. i don't think my wheel base (123) is all that long compared to a lot of other builds on here... im glad you have faith in me figuring it out.. i will get there... its just going to take awhile

Yeah i am definitely going to get it as square as possible before i tack the doors in.. as far as the other cab goes.. i dont think there will be much left of it once i get all my patch panels out of it.. how come i havent seen a build thread on your truck?????

I'm not building a rat this time, so I figured I would keep it out.:D

I'm not building a rat this time, so I figured I would keep it out.:D[/QUOTE]

come on now. there are plenty of builds on here that arent really rats.. are you too good for us now? haha jk...

Im hoping mine will be a little more refined then alot of rats.. and it will probably get painted..

I'm not building a rat this time, so I figured I would keep it out.:D

come on now. there are plenty of builds on here that arent really rats.. are you too good for us now? haha jk...

Im hoping mine will be a little more refined then alot of rats.. and it will probably get painted..[/QUOTE]

hell no..... I still like you guys. haha
RRR is what helped me get into Hot Rods.
Im not sure exactly where my project is going to fit in. Traditional, but with a mandral bent pre-fabbed rails (not traditional), shiny paint, leather tuck and roll interior, homemade bed, etc. I have been calling it a Hot Rod ever since I bought the cab I guess.
yeah, I guess I need to start a thread:D.

By the way, I have a new fab table if need a base to square up that cab. haha

Haha... I was just giving you a hard time man... But we would all enjoy seeing your build!

I think there all Hot Rods but if people want to call them Rats, thats all right with me.

Rainman has it right! I don't care what you call it... As long as it's done right(safe) and you have fun who cares...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back