Child restraint laws in SC

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splitn2

I got stopped the other day while picking up my grandbaby from daycare. I was driving the 64 bel air which did not come equipt with seat belts. A hwy patrolman gave me 2 tickets! One for me not having a seatbealt and one for my grand daughter not being in a car seat. I explained to him that the car did not have seat belts nor did it come from the factory with them. I explained to him that i thought a car seat flopping around in the car unsecured would seem more dangerous than not being in a child seat. He disagreed, my ticket was 25.00, her was 155.00!! My court date is next week, can any one give me some advice?? Thx Tom
PS. This happened in the state of SC

You probably won't like what I have to say....

This is as a grandaddy not as a cop.... I would never think about driving around with my granddaughter unbelted even if she was in a car seat.... there are just too many things that can happen but the worst of which would be for someone to hit you and that car seat and the baby go bouncing all over the place.... that car seat not belted in would be a missile......
Now as an officer.... I would never give a citation to someone in a classic car that did not come with seat belts.... in michigan it is not required.... I would check with the motor vehicle laws in your state... I will bet it's not required there either.....
As far as the child safety seat issue, I am afraid I would have cited you as well and probably made you have someone come and get her and the car seat that has belts in the car...... just too darned dangerous for your grandbaby...
Not that you drive badly but there are just too many nutz out there.....
Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but it's from my heart..... get the retro kits, they look stock.... I but them in my 63 Bonneville.... it's a cheap investment for you and for your grandchild.....

How old/weight is the grand baby? could make a difference. But I do agree with Sgtpontiac on properly strapping in precious cargo. I love my grandson and want him to go for a ride in my old truck but will not risk it a second until every safety issue is resolved. Not that my truck is unsafe but it could be for him.

Go to http://www.safekids.org/in-your-area/coalitions/list.html?localstate=SC&state=SC and find a contact in your area. They will be able help you understand the child safety restraint laws in your state. I don't think I'd mention the exact reason why you want to know though... My wife is an automotive saftey engineer and a child passenger safety advocate. She didn't respond well to my question about this. Your ticket should be thrown out, the age of the vehicle makes it exempt. My wife said SC is a tough state on child safety; good luck.

This is as a grandaddy not as a cop.... I would never think about driving around with my granddaughter unbelted even if she was in a car seat.... there are just too many things that can happen but the worst of which would be for someone to hit you and that car seat and the baby go bouncing all over the place.... that car seat not belted in would be a missile......
Now as an officer.... I would never give a citation to someone in a classic car that did not come with seat belts.... in michigan it is not required.... I would check with the motor vehicle laws in your state... I will bet it's not required there either.....
As far as the child safety seat issue, I am afraid I would have cited you as well and probably made you have someone come and get her and the car seat that has belts in the car...... just too darned dangerous for your grandbaby...
Not that you drive badly but there are just too many nutz out there.....
Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but it's from my heart..... get the retro kits, they look stock.... I but them in my 63 Bonneville.... it's a cheap investment for you and for your grandchild.....
Thx for your response. I agree totally with what you said, but here were the circumstanses. .. My daughter called me at the last minute to pick up my grand daughter, she has to be picked up by 5.00, it was 4.30 at that time. all other cars that i own were either in the shop being repaired or gone. The 64 was the only car available. The day car is 5 miles from my home, i was approx 3 miles from home when I was stopped. I have since installed seat belts in the rear of the car for the sole purpose in case this was to happen again. I explained to the officer the same thing I just told you. I am a firm believer in seatbelts. My job is 1/2 mile from my house but I still buckle up before i leave the driveway or parking lot. I have a perfect/clear driving record wit ZERO violations. SC law states" Vehicles prior to 66(mine is 64) w/o seatbelts are exempt from this law" .If i am guilty, fine, I will pay the ticket, but if I am not, i shouldnt have to fork out 180.00.Ths once again for you response.

How old/weight is the grand baby? could make a difference. But I do agree with Sgtpontiac on properly strapping in precious cargo. I love my grandson and want him to go for a ride in my old truck but will not risk it a second until every safety issue is resolved. Not that my truck is unsafe but it could be for him.
Thank you

Go to http://www.safekids.org/in-your-area/coalitions/list.html?localstate=SC&state=SC and find a contact in your area. They will be able help you understand the child safety restraint laws in your state. I don't think I'd mention the exact reason why you want to know though... My wife is an automotive saftey engineer and a child passenger safety advocate. She didn't respond well to my question about this. Your ticket should be thrown out, the age of the vehicle makes it exempt. My wife said SC is a tough state on child safety; good luck.

thanx and i agree, but see post 5

I aint know lawyer but this is how i'd handle it.
It doesn't matter how people (the officer, cps, etc) feel about the law...what matters to the court is what is written.
but the side of the road is no place for a fight with an officer. the court is the official place to argue with an officer who will not listen to reason
don't wait for a court date, get it handled BEFORE it becomes public record.

ask an attorney...

I'd Write up a statement describing the situation for the court, get it notarized (makes it a legal document called an affidavit) and send it to the county prosecutors office where I got the ticket asking for the citation to be dropped as the officer made a mistake in his knowledge of the law.
what you don't want to do is admit any guilt. Your putting in seat belts and the emergency requiring you to pick her up are testament to your going in excess of the law to protect the child. my neighbor has told me if he doesn't get his kids picked up from school it's an abandonment issue.
anyway...
I send the letter to the county courthouse attn, proscecutor.
then a day or two after it should have arrived, I call the proscecutors office to see if they have recieved it and had an opportunity to review it.
this lets you know they got it and lets them know it's important.
they will let you know the best time to follow up with them about it. if not ask them for the best time.
don't miss the appointment to call them back

if it's a traffic ticket I send them a check in the amount of the fine or at least the court costs along with the affidavit declaring not guilty. this lets them know that my contest to the charge is not about the money.

The court doesn't want bad cases to come to trial and they don't want to waste the people's money fixing or covering up officer's mistakes. they want to punish people by the law for making true mistakes.
The best civil analogy of this would be with how a good company looks at it's sales. was it a good clean sale or did the salesman lie, not know the product, or use pressure to sell someone something they really didn't want and they probably won't pay for.

This is just my opinion from my experiences, don't consider it any legal advice. It might give you ideas to run past your attorney.

P.S.
Long time ago I had a freind Rolly who got drunked up and high and broke into a restaurant with some friends and stole their booze.
They knew he was one of them and they had proof.
He left the state to avoid prosecution until he could make enough money to get it smoothed over.
Through his attorney he paid for all the damages without admitting guilt to the charges and the court dropped the charges against him but still prosecuted the others.
Rolly told me (while the charges were pending) there was still a warrant out for him and if he gets arrested he might not be able to get it taken care of so he had to stay incognito.
How?
He made the victim (the restaurant owners) whole
He did not admit guilt or provide any evidence against himself
The only evidence against him at the time because he had not yet been arrested and his dna checked was the testimony of other criminals
He worked through an attorney
The state was willing to drop the charges and close the case without further process

This was my first insight into how the legal system really works. it's not corruption. it's mediation.
there are more ways to make things right than just the court case. Once that court case happens it becomes public record and is on your head forever.
there are other crimes they call "bootless crimes" for which no money will settle or make the victim whole and requires punishment against the body of a person.

Last edited:
These tickets should be Civil Infractions....

Prosecutors don't normally get involved with civil infractions.... only Misdemeanors / criminal charges....most of the time the case is heard by a magistrate and not a judge...at least in Michigan... the magistrate looks at civil infractions as the "perponderance of the evidence" not the "beyond a resonable doubt" which must be proved in a criminal matter....
so it's 51/49 for civil cases.... that being said, the thing you have going for you (i would think) is a good driving record... I would check your states motor vehicle codes for the first issue...you not wearing a belt.... if the law stipulates (which I believe most do) that you are not required to have a seat belt in a vehicle built prior to whatever 1967 I think...then you will win on that one.... the other, you can set up an informal hearing to go before the magistrate and plead your case..... You can't lose anything by trying..... with your driving record the magistrate might dismiss it.... in either event, in this state there are no points assessed for seat belt violations.... so either way the record stays clear and you only pay the fine..... but check with SC motor vehicle laws to clairfy what I've said..... good luck.... sorry I didn't read through your last post... it appears you will have the seat belt ticket thrown out as law stipulates you didn't need it....the officer was mistaken.... the other you need to ask for a hearing to present the fact of the situation....again, good luck...

Last edited:
Let's just say the cop is wrong, He should have to pay court costs and pay you a days wages, travel expense and aggravation for not knowing the law.

Personally I don't think you will have any trouble winning in court. These old cars are exempt from any thing that was not installed on them way back then.

HI,I was born and raised in South Carolina.Your car is exempt.You should not have to pay anything.However,in this state it seems law officers twist laws around to suit them,and usually get away with it.
If you show up with a lawyer you will win.
Oherwise get ready for some southern law twisting.And bring money to pay.:mad:

How old is your grand daughter?

I do agree that you should get out of your ticket, no problem. Growing up here in Arkansas, both my parents had "pre seat belt" vehicles that they drove occasionally and were never ticketed for us not being belted...but that was in the early 90's. I seriously doubt you can get out of the child seat ticket with today's laws. As said before though, you should inform the court that your have now added belts and will be better prepared should you be put in this situation again. (I would even say take pics of the belts you installed and take them to court with you)

Either way, good luck...hopefully they'll go easy on you.

Don't get Revved up RPM....

Let's just say the cop is wrong, He should have to pay court costs and pay you a days wages, travel expense and aggravation for not knowing the law.

Personally I don't think you will have any trouble winning in court. These old cars are exempt from any thing that was not installed on them way back then.

I was being polite.... mistaken/wrong same same.... no need to beat it to death....lol
No doubt he was WRONG...about citing the driver for no belt... the other....not so sure..... good debate issue though....;)

I know we need all these laws and safety warnings to protect us and our children from our ignorance,but stuff like this irratates me. How did we ever make it without the government to save us.Wont be long we'll all have to wear a helmet to drive a car.We might as well get rid of these old cars there such a hazzard to have around.
RiskSharpEdgesSign.jpg

Under no circumstances would I put my grandchild in a car not belted up in a car-seat. She is 6 years old and I would never forgive myself if she were injured due to not being properly constrained. And - btw it's the law in Missouri.
Just my two cents worth.

I don't think that anyone is disputing it wasn't the best idea..

Even the original admitted it probably wasn't the best Idea, only did it out of necessity.... hey, we all have done something we probably shouldn't have and it usually works out....most of the time...
the only reason that people have to post these type signs is that people sometimes don't think and common sense isn't always so common.... like the woman who bought the motorhome and thought because it had cruise control she could go to the back and make a sandwich leaving the motorhome to drive itself.... didn't say in the owners manual you couldn't leave the drivers seat so she did it.....sued and won..... wasn't in the owners manual...or the person that sued Micky D's for not letting them know the coffee was very hot, it's posted now isn't it.... Anyway.... nobody got hurt..main thing...the precious cargo is safe now and the only issue is the citations.... those can be fought in court to see where they go.... the system ain't great.. but it's better than a lot of countries.....God bless the US.... still a pretty great country regardless of the politics..... :D

well - i think it was mentioned -- child safety laws differ from older persons (i think 17 and up in Texas) -- ie in a vehicle that was not originally equipped with seatbelts I would not have to have one on UNLESS since its manufacture seatbelts have been installed - then it has to be on regardless its it was oe or not -- as for children however - under a certain weight (60lbs i think) a child must be in a child safety seat -- and up to a certain height they must be in a child booster to ensure the belt is located where it should be -- otherwise ticket... and A BIG ONE lol
Texas is pretty tough on child safety and seatbelt laws though -

- hopefully you can explain the situation to the judge, inform him/her of the recent addition of seatbelts for the child seat -- maybe take some photos in -- explain that you were aware of the danger but (more or less) unaware of the law (though ignorance is not innocence) and hope for the best -- lawyers always help but unless you know someone may end up costing more than the ticket and court costs ...

Even the original admitted it probably wasn't the best Idea, only did it out of necessity.... :D

I could see that as an argument in court..oh sorry I did it out of necessity.
No excuse for putting someone who's not old enough to say no in a dangerous situation.
But,what makes me see this as strange but way too common is how anyone would in the first place come on to a Car forum,admit he'd been reckless and then ask for legal advice.

I could see that as an argument in court..oh sorry I did it out of necessity.
No excuse for putting someone who's not old enough to say no in a dangerous situation.
But,what makes me see this as strange but way too common is how anyone would in the first place come on to a Car forum,admit he'd been reckless and then ask for legal advice.
Dear EnglishBob,
You sir , are a idiot!! What was i suppose to do, leave my grand daughter at DayCare after hours?? As far as post on a Car forum, i was trying to find at what the law was concerning this matter. As posted before, if i am guilty of breaking the law, i have no problem paying the fine! If I am not guilty , I dont have a 180.00 to give away to our legal system! BTW , she is old enough to say "no" to a dangerous situation, matter of fact , she loves riding in her Poppy's old car and knows she is safe while doing so. IMO sir, you need not to speak about what you dont know about. God bless you, and God bless this country ! As we say down south, have a good'n![cl

Under no circumstances would I put my grandchild in a car not belted up in a car-seat. She is 6 years old and I would never forgive myself if she were injured due to not being properly constrained. And - btw it's the law in Missouri.
Just my two cents worth.
I agree 100% under normal circumstances but,,, how was she to get home? When I was a kid, there are 5 of us, WE OLD RODE AROUND IN CARS WITHOUT SEATBELTS , ALL SITTING IN THE FRONT SEAT OF MY DADS COMPANY TRUCK. We survived.

Latest posts

Back