Reality TV

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only ones i watch are on mav tv since they took power nation off. they tried bringing american chopper back and i guess it was a flop too as i don't know anybody that watched it.

All those shows need to be takin with a grain of salt. They are all BS really and not "Reality" in reality..
I cant stand the "Theme" BS. Spider bikes,train Rods, Rat rods with Tracks, Cadillac bikes... makes me want to barf.
Bitchin Rides and the Guild Garage I enjoy as they dont have too much of the BS and keep most of the BS out of their builds. I do like Vegas Rat rods just for the fact I do like the parts pickin, and the look of some of his finished projects(minus the tearing through the sheet metal crap, super cheesy if you ask me. Ranks with the spider web OCC bike), although I would call them "Faux Rat rods" when they cost upwards of $80k, and the customers are all bogus as he keeps all the builds. Gotta wonder if that price is just the price he makes the network pay for the build??

I'm with smallfoot.:D
Don't have a TV so I can't watch them. I have seen bits of Bad Chad on the internet. Yes he's creative but really annoying to me. Like a ferret on crystal meth.(I'm sure....In fact I know that their are people that find me annoying as well).
My biggest gripe with these shows is that they end up being more like soap operas and they never show you what it really takes to build something.
When I drove vintage stuff as my everyday somebody would always come up to me to invite me to participate in a car show.
My response was polite but the same to all."Everyday is a car show in my Garage." Some got it. Some didn't.....
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

I didn't realize Chad was on YouTube I watched a few of his videos, I see what you mean about annoying, not sure what He's on but it must be good chit :eek:

I didn't realize Chad was on YouTube I watched a few of his videos, I see what you mean about annoying, not sure what He's on but it must be good chit :eek:

LOL.....[ddd
Indeed Dozer.
Even with my pacemaker cranked way up I could never be that Hyper.:D
He probably used to be a drummer is a punk rock band with all that energy.
Torchie

On Rust Valley Restorers:
I've met Mike hall a few times, first time was at his place nearly 20 years ago, coincidentally looking a couple '40 Packards he had for sale. His collection was smaller then and he didn't have the dredlocks but was every bit the wild crazy guy you see on TV. He's run a successful business for many years working for Dept. of Highways doing dangerous rock scaling work and appeared on a couple episodes of Highway though Hell clearing loose rock from slide site cliffs. He told me he spotted a lot of the vehicles he'd collected from working in remote locations and on the side of mountains, seeing down into valleys etc.
Yes the antics can be hard to take sometimes but that's just the way they are.
No, I don't think he's anywhere near going broke but certainly not making much if any money on most of the builds. Certainly not top shelf builds but actually close to what the average guy can turn out.
It's just entertainment after all, you have to take it with a grain of salt like most of the other shows.

I'll bet you rub elbows with many persons of interest, zz. [cl

Mike Hall won't go broke as long as he has a TV contract! (Those OCC clowns were nobody until TV made them stinkin' rich.)

I kinda like Rust Valley Restorers, complete with the usual phony reality BS... twice I've seen them collaborate with (Ridler winner) JF Launier like he lives next door... but, JF Customs is nearly 4 hours away! :rolleyes:

I'll bet you rub elbows with many persons of interest, zz. [cl

Mike Hall won't go broke as long as he has a TV contract! (Those OCC clowns were nobody until TV made them stinkin' rich.)

I kinda like Rust Valley Restorers, complete with the usual phony reality BS... twice I've seen them collaborate with (Ridler winner) JF Launier like he lives next door... but, JF Customs is nearly 4 hours away! :rolleyes:

Actually Doc, JF Launier does have a new shop near Kamloops, just down the road from the Rust bros. shop which is close to Salmon Arm. You were correct that his old shop was in Osooyoos, near the US border, a 4 hr drive away.
I have to confess that I've watched a lot of these so called reality Auto and bike shows because there is often something going on thats interesting from a technical point of view, collecting ideas to store in my mental toolbox... if it has wheels and spark plugs or even electric power, I'll give it a try.
Gas Monkey - Rawlings is a jerk, too much of idiots thinking they're actors..
Misfit Garage - even worse, a spin off with a concentration of more idiots
American Hot Rod - Boyd was a real jerk, though once very creative
Vegas Rat Rods - cant see any of the builds actually getting licensed
Monster Garage - too much done for show idiocy, Jesse let his head swell up...
West Coast Kustoms - deviated into too much show only weird stuff
There's many more I can't think of right now, my brain hurts....
Some that I do like or tolerate:
Chasing Classic Cars,
Guild Garage,
Fantomworks,
Ian roussel (cant remember the name of the show),
Going back a ways, Biker build off,
JDM Legends,
Cafe Racer,
Wheeler Dealers, (goofy Brits, fun seeing the view from the wrong side of the road),
Theres more that come and go, I think I've forgotten more than I remember, but some lessons I've learned are:
There's always someone around the corner with a bigger stick than you have,
Fame is a fleeting thing,
There is an endless supply of morons with too much money,
(none of that money falls in my lap),
The camera turns people into idiots,
TV ratings over rule common sense,
Flies are attracted to poop.............

Most shows are lame entertainment but I like Ian Roussel/Full Custom Garage, he's creative & you get to see a lot of what he actually does & how he thinks. He doesn't let anything slow him down & just does it until it works! My least fav is GAss Monkey Garage, they never make any money selling the crap they build! I've seen their stuff at auctions & it's the worst work imaginable. He married a rich girl & makes his money of course from his show! Surprised he's still on TV!

BoB

Most shows are lame entertainment but I like Ian Roussel/Full Custom Garage, he's creative & you get to see a lot of what he actually does & how he thinks. He doesn't let anything slow him down & just does it until it works! My least fav is GAss Monkey Garage, they never make any money selling the crap they build! I've seen their stuff at auctions & it's the worst work imaginable. He married a rich girl & makes his money of course from his show! Surprised he's still on TV!

BoB

That makes a lot of sense.

I enjoy anything auto related. I watch each show with a different expectation. The auto value id there even if you have to wade through some BS.

Latest posts

Back