Hello from Baton Rouge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noahvale

I've been in the market for a classic car for a while. I happened across this on clist 100 miles from me in MS.
It is a 1960 Rambler American wagon. I had a 4 door '60 American for a long time a long time ago. I always loved that body style but being a unibody could never put a decent engine in it. I never had the means to build a frame for it back then.

The former owner of this one channeled the body and dropped it onto a shortened '85 s10 Blazer frame. It has a first gen sbc 350 with a th350 tranny.

before.jpg

So far I have mainly been concentrating on getting it mechanically sound. The motor is supposed to be a 355, but the block number says 1st gen 350. I don't know if it has bigger pistons or not. The heads are double humps. Edelbrock Performer manifold and a mild Comp cam. It had an old q-jet on it when I got it. I just put the new Edelbrock 1406 on it. It runs strong!

engine.jpg

What it doesn't do yet it stop well! I put in rotors, calipers, and pads on the front. The back is next and then probably a power master cylinder.

I haven't decided on whether to leave it rat, or paint it. After the interior including AC is done I will decide.

Welcome aboard! I almost had one like this when I was 16. It wasn't very old then. Looks like you have a fun rid working.

PS- Like your handle. :D

Welcome to UnDead Sleds, from northern Alberta.
My first thought was the same as Torchies, Whaoo, a Nomad Rambler.

I have found that if you put disc brakes on your hotrod you will want to put a power unit in the system too. You don't have to push those pads very far but you have to push them awfully hard.

There must be somebody on this forum that likes small block Chevies enough, to be able to tell you something about your motor. I thought those double bump heads were the very best, large valve heads for a 327, which should bolt onto a 350 alright.

IIRC, there are two different master cylinders for S10's, one for power brakes, one for standard non power. If you have a power master without a booster, it will be hard to push and hard to stop.
I ran manual non power discs on a Maverick, didn't have any problem stopping it, and they weren't hard at the pedal, either.

Oh, and welcome from west Alabama!

Cheap Chinese knock-off.

Buy from a known company with a real address, return policy and CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I agree. There are lots of that style around. Summit has them.

My question was more about whether that would be a good option for a s10 brake system. I will know more after this weekend when I replace the rear drums, cylinders, pads, and springs.

I'm also planning to go with a power steering gearbox and was thinking of getting a sbc style pump for it since the pumps for s10's don't have mounts for sbc motors. No problem making a mount, but would rather have sbc components on the motor.

Latest posts

Back