Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 AM

Default 30 Hudson / Old Hemi

Hi guys got a chance to buy this engine and pushbutton tranny and exhaust ,Guy is asking 3grand ...seems a little steep but they are rare right thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DOUGS CARS AND AMIES TRUCK 146.jpg (96.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Default 276 firedome hemi

I would like to stick the motor in this think it would be pretty cool dodge coupe with dodge running gear.Just wondering if it is done in rat rod style if it would be worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22767197_614[1].jpg (39.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 22767182_614[1].jpg (44.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 22767187_614[1].jpg (46.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 11-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

3K seems steep to me, but I'm not in the market for one. I've seen them for less, but in need of rebuild and with no tranny. I would use an adapter and run a more modern transmission though.

Is the engine running, and do you know it's reliable? Have you checked online to see what's out there and what the prices are?

I don't pay much for motors but I often know a guy who has exactly what I want. I just bought a fairly uncommon (but newer than the Hemi) 430 Buick in need of rebuild for $50 through the local classifieds. There are deals to be had if you look for one, but they can be harder to find for Hemi motors.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket

---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:17 PM

engine came out of a running car he drove it down the other day .not shur of the mileage but will be getting that info.Not much use to buy it with the tranny if Im going to have to buy an adapter and another tranny.
I realize this motor is the smallest hemi so just doing it for looks rather than power. Yes lots to think about.I do have a fully built 350 sitting in the corner. but anybody can drop a 350 in something...just wondering if it might be worth it to go for something different.
I see new fuelinjected hemis going for around 2G,s around here.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaby View Post
engine came out of a running car he drove it down the other day .not shur of the mileage but will be getting that info.Not much use to buy it with the tranny if Im going to have to buy an adapter and another tranny.
I realize this motor is the smallest hemi so just doing it for looks rather than power. Yes lots to think about.I do have a fully built 350 sitting in the corner. but anybody can drop a 350 in something...just wondering if it might be worth it to go for something different.
I see new fuelinjected hemis going for around 2G,s around here.
My point was just that the newer transmissions might be more reliable, regardless of the power you're putting to them. I know a lot of guys put newer transmissions behind the old Hemi's. Dodge wasn't well-known for their transmissions, after all. You might have no problem with the stock one, it was just a suggestion.

Whether or not it's worth it to go for something different is up to you. What about an old 413 cross-ram? There are plenty of weird powerplants you could use, that aren't a Hemi. I see so many Hemi-powered rat or hot rods that I am not such a big fan.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket

---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 PM

hi yes point taken on reliability,but probably not going to run this too hard just a coffee shop cruiser. and you do have a point on the too many hemi rat rods probably why they are so pricy.I would be happy with any motor really just tossing the idea as the shell is a Hudson too so kinda keeping with the tradition not like a model a coupe with a hemi.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Fascinated by rolling objects!

The pushbutton trans is considerably newer than the motor already. Pushbutton torqueflites ruled the dragstrips in the sixties. They were known as dial a win Dodges. If money is not an issue i believe that motor in the old Dodge would give you a lot of satisfaction. I know it would for me. For some reason i just hate to see anything but Mopar motors in the old Dodges and Plymouths.

"Paint is the Devil's way of hiding the truth" T1

https://www.facebook.com/RatRodAddic..._l-V7Q66UmjmNM
Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 PM

Well with me money is always an issue. Just don't want to go overboard and put so much dough into it that it has to be sold at a loss one day. But if I do get it together you cant put a price on the fun I will have with it .And Hemi,s up here are a little rarer than down south.
And I do agree that a dodge should have a dodge motor ....almost seems like it was meant to be as I asked my bud last week to find me on and it just so happened the guy brought his Desoto in and is going to put a brand new modern crate hemi in his for him yes money is no object.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

old hemi's are becoming very rare, if it a fairly fresh rebuild and the trans is an aluminum version of the TF, it is worth every penny of $3000.

it would cost $4000-5000 to rebuild them today IF you can find decent cores.

that engine with the right cam and intake/carb combo would be killer in a light chassis like a hot rod.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:02 AM

yes expensive to rebuild any engine nowadays exept mayby a smalblock chevy. ill get the info on the motor this weekend.