New question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchie

Has anybody on the site had any experience in putting SBC engine in a early 50’s Cadillac?
As well as a newer trans.
I know they aren’t just a drop in. I believe there are steering clearance issues.
Asking for a friend😜
Torchie

I do know in the Chevs you are supposed to move the steering box over an inch or two. That didn't happen on mine though, original steering column and gear box..... exhaust manifold has almost no clearance from the pitman arm but it works.

There is a 49 Cad sedanette that shows up at local show that has a SBC but it had the new column and u joint to steering box

EDIT: correction, I was curious and took another look, there are larger nuts used as spacers to bring the steering box out an inch.

Last edited:
I do know in the Chevs you are supposed to move the steering box over an inch or two. That didn't happen on mine though, original steering column and gear box..... exhaust manifold has almost no clearance from the pitman arm but it works.

There is a 49 Cad sedanette that shows up at local show that has a SBC but it had the new column and u joint to steering box

EDIT: correction, I was curious and took another look, there are larger nuts used as spacers to bring the steering box out an inch.

Thanks lazarat for the info.
Any chance of a picture or 2 of yours?
What year Caddy is it? Any drive train info would be great as well.
Torchie

Sorry for confusion, I have a 53 Chevy. But!

The 50's Caddys had V8 engines..331, 5.4L

Therefore The issue might be more where the exhaust and motor mounts line up than location of steering.

As you can see in my pics the motor mounts, and how close the steering arm is to my futsy stock exhaust manifold, I didn't put this car together this is how I got it. Like I said above post, there are large nuts for spacers and longer bolts to move steering about an inch

Attachments

• IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back