38 Plymouth coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckywingnut

I have started a build on a 1938 Plymouth coupe. It's going to be a little bit rat rod/ hot rod with a dirt modified flare.
Started with a body and frame.
IMG_0120.JPG

Added a quick change rear with triangulated four link suspension
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG

This is the point I have gotten the most grief about. To get the look I was after, I shortened the rear of the body and moved the wheel wheels forward 5in. This allowed the body to come back and give me the look of a true modified. I still have some work to do with the wheel wells though. I'm thinking of using wheel tubs to finish it off better and give me the support in the trunk area.
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG

I like where you are going with back. I'll be watching to see how it works out. The back on this cars always looked to long to me.

So does this happen to anyone else? Mo matter how much I plan and measure everything out, something doesn't work out. I fit the engine any trans in and come to find out there isn't enough room for the steering linkage.
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG
Had to put the headers on to see what it was going to look like.
IMG_0188.JPG
Anyway, thankfully there was enough room to move the front end out another 5in. Even still there wasn't enough room to put the steering box in for a cross steer set up. Not enough room in front of axle either. Crossmember is in the way. So I guess I will have to contrive a cowl side steer set up. Rack and pinion would fit but toooo much money.
IMG_0224.JPG

Sorry to everyone that would have liked me to keep this all Mopar, but that is a Chevy engine in there. That is what started this build. Had the engine, needed something to put it in.

These critters are always a puzzle. The best of us have run onto this snag a time or three. Don't get in a hurry. Sometimes staring at it and making engine noises for a while (like all afternoon or longer) may present a solution that wasn't so obvious. Maybe tomorrow it will look different. Staying flexible in this undertaking is always best.

Or, you could give it to me. I need another new project. :D

That's funny! That is exactly what I did and had to explain to my wife that I was not losing it. I usually kick problems around before I execute them, but this had really got to me. Now the new issue with the steering has me a little stumped. I know what I want to do just not how to get there. A few more days of car noises and staring off in space ought to do it.

I come close to buying a 38 once, nice start. Feel free to post pics of your problems were a big group of solvers. LOL

So does this happen to anyone else? Mo matter how much I plan and measure everything out, something doesn't work out. I fit the engine any trans in and come to find out there isn't enough room for the steering linkage.
View attachment 131227
View attachment 131228
Had to put the headers on to see what it was going to look like.
View attachment 131229
Anyway, thankfully there was enough room to move the front end out another 5in. Even still there wasn't enough room to put the steering box in for a cross steer set up. Not enough room in front of axle either. Crossmember is in the way. So I guess I will have to contrive a cowl side steer set up. Rack and pinion would fit but toooo much money.
View attachment 131230
Post some pics that show the area where the steering should be better. Like more of the area. There are a lot of sneaky ways to get the job done. My altered has the steering dropping almost straight down, then shaking through a really cramped space to the gearbox out by the axle for cross steer. 4 u-joints involved. Wasn't likely cheap, but it did the job.

I'm not sure if I can get a pic that would show the problem. It really is just a matter of space. I have Vega box and a Land Cruiser box. The only way to mount them and work would be upside down, and then they would hang down too low. Anyway I'm thinking a cowl steer set up would look right at home with this build.

Nice! I am gonna keep checking on progress. I have a 40 Dodge 5 window I want to do after I finish my Model AA, but the dodge needs mega work. Came from out east and rust is major.

So after a long turkey coma and a lot thinking and rethinking, I finally found a way to make the cross steer work. I have to box the front frame horn and notch the crossmember for the steering shaft. Then the pitman arm should fit under the crossmember and the cross steering should work.
I thought long and hard about putting in the cowl steering but the fabrication involved was more than I thought was necessary. This was to be a "quick" and enjoyable build and the logistics of the cowl steer was too much. I would have loved to have it though, as that would have really fit the look. Oh well.
Once I get a chance I will snap a few pics.

So here are a few pictures of how and where I put the steering box in.
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
Now I just need to pick some steering shaft components to connect everything.
New pitman arm is on the way. I'll have to see how much clearance there will be for it.

Latest posts

Back