Lets Talk Brakes Lines!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecster

Alright so I have this awesome 67 International project going that is slowly coming together... I'm in a great debate on brake lines...

Do I want to go through the hassle of learning how to DIY brake lines out of Cunifer or no? Is it a difficult daunting task? Would I be in over my head? What do I need to know BEFORE getting into it? Also, what specialized tools would I need?

Most everything I imagine used with the older projects is 45 degree flare, so you would need a brake line flare tool, and a tubing cutter, and to sort out what fittings you need for the various components you are connecting.

It's really not that hard flaring lines, however factory original lines can be very hard, and some cannot be re-flared with the simple hand brake line flare tool.

I'd say pick up a bending tool as well to make the custom bends you need, it makes sure the lines do not get kinked when bending them.

Most everything I imagine used with the older projects is 45 degree flare, so you would need a brake line flare tool, and a tubing cutter, and to sort out what fittings you need for the various components you are connecting.

It's really not that hard flaring lines, however factory original lines can be very hard, and some cannot be re-flared with the simple hand brake line flare tool.

I'd say pick up a bending tool as well to make the custom bends you need, it makes sure the lines do not get kinked when bending them.

Okay, I'm not looking to spend a million dollars - I mean, I get it...it's my lives on the line when it comes to the brakes so I'd make sure they are done RIGHT but I'd love to redo them all.

What is all these double flaring, bubble flaring stuff... and as far as fittings - I just need the ones that fit the MC and wheel cylinders right?

You can buy pre made to length lines at any auto parts store, with a little juggling of lengths you can make up what you need. I think they come in increments of 6". They have all kinds of adapters for these lines as well as couplers.

You can buy pre made to length lines at any auto parts store, with a little juggling of lengths you can make up what you need. I think they come in increments of 6". They have all kinds of adapters for these lines as well as couplers.

That's the easiest way......
Buy a good bender and you're done.

You also don't have to know how to fish if you buy it at the store. :rolleyes:

Brake lines are critical components, but they are pretty easy to do with a little practice. Actually I would consider it one of those things everyone SHOULD know how to do. Get yourself a good quality flaring tool, a bender, some fittings & a roll of brake line and start practicing. If you follow some simple directions you will be making custom brake lines in no time withough being subject to pre-made lengths and leak-prone unions. It's not rocket science...

flaring_tool_instructions.png

BrakeSystem-TechTip.gif

You also don't have to know how to fish if you buy it at the store. :rolleyes:

Brake lines are critical components, but they are pretty easy to do with a little practice. Actually I would consider it one of those things everyone SHOULD know how to do. Get yourself a good quality flaring tool, a bender, some fittings & a roll of brake line and start practicing. If you follow some simple directions you will be making custom brake lines in no time withough being subject to pre-made lengths and leak-prone unions. It's not rocket science...

Thank you, any chance you can link me some good flaring tools and a bender? I know I can get a tube cutter from the local hardware store if I don't have one in my old mans tool chest.

45 degree double flares for standard lines and fittings, 37 degree single flares for AN- {ARMY-NAVY} style fittings, usually for steel line to braided steel lines.

45 degree double flares for standard lines and fittings, 37 degree single flares for AN- {ARMY-NAVY} style fittings, usually for steel line to braided steel lines.

How will I know which one to use and when I guess is what I'm asking?

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction for some reading material?

I really tried to google this one and am coming up with no avail...

I posted up on a International forums and they were saying something about a dual circuit junction block... I have no idea what it does and I was wondering what the deal is with it? Any information is helpful... the only information I could get was from a Mustang, Cougar, and GM...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that, due to the age of your truck, you will most likely only need to make 45 degree double flares.

The pictoral how-to that DMW56 posted earlier will show you exactly what you need to do. That's exactly how I do it and I'm a licensed mechanic.:)

Gastrick's bending pattern how-to is excellent advice as well.

I would like to finish by adding a couple of observations- First, as mentioned earlier, the best flaring tool you can afford is the best to get. Cheepy tools make s**tty, uneven flares which are impossible to get to seal.

Second, no one else mentioned yet, but proper wrenches are a must-have when working with compression fittings such as brake lines. You need a decent set of line wrenches for this. a normal crescent or open-end wrench is okay to spin the fittings in, but will round off the fitting when trying to tighten it.

You might want to try your local Sears tool outlet. I have Craftsman wrenches and they work pretty well. Weren't overly expensive, either.:)

Regards,
Shea:)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that, due to the age of your truck, you will most likely only need to make 45 degree double flares.

The pictoral how-to that DMW56 posted earlier will show you exactly what you need to do. That's exactly how I do it and I'm a licensed mechanic.:)

Gastrick's bending pattern how-to is excellent advice as well.

I would like to finish by adding a couple of observations- First, as mentioned earlier, the best flaring tool you can afford is the best to get. Cheepy tools make s**tty, uneven flares which are impossible to get to seal.

Second, no one else mentioned yet, but proper wrenches are a must-have when working with compression fittings such as brake lines. You need a decent set of line wrenches for this. a normal crescent or open-end wrench is okay to spin the fittings in, but will round off the fitting when trying to tighten it.

You might want to try your local Sears tool outlet. I have Craftsman wrenches and they work pretty well. Weren't overly expensive, either.:)

Regards,
Shea:)

Any advice on fittings?

Latest posts

Back